Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
A082J4137H 1989 SE Brake Reservoir Filler Cap Seal - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

A082J4137H 1989 SE Brake Reservoir Filler Cap Seal

Hi, folks, I have just noticed that the rubber seal on my brake fluid reservoir filler cap has spit into several pieces.

The part number for the cap is A082J4137H according to the manual (I assume the seal is part of the cap assembly), but the cap appears to be obsolete.

Has anyone come across this problem before and would there be any alternatives?

The rubber seal (ring) has an inside diameter of about 28mm

Thanks,

Ian.

(EDIT) Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the cap appears to be a Ford cap (with Ford scratched out). It has the numbers 80VB2162A2A and K0236 on it. I suppose this might be an alternative (or is this why the seal fell apart in the first place... a bad fit?). Irrespective, Google didn't come up with anything for these numbers.

Edited by Qavion

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember finding out it was a early  Transit van  reservoir  ( could be wrong it was ages ago).  I never found one and either made do with the seal or made one up  from a small sheet of nitrile rubber.  I am guessing all this as it was 3-4 years ago.  The only other thing I do remember is the master cylinder on mine was exactly the same as a vw  transporter apart from the vw has 4 outlets 2 front and 2 rear so I simply capped one rear and  it all works fine.  Cost a lot less as well.

Thanks, guys.

It seems you have a much greater selection of parts in the UK and USA. Our local generic auto stores don't even stock caps. I found an o-ring which would be ok in the short term : It's loose and falls out as soon as you take the cap off, but it seems to seal.

Just wondering how you cut the nitrile sheet to make it look professional. I can't find any wad punches that particular size. I'm even having trouble finding a place which sells small sheets of nitrile (It's usually in meter lengths at crazy prices). :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a generic "FORD" brake reservoir cap seal from a local autoparts store and it fit.

something like this, not sure of the part #

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B000C5E4O6

I ordered the part from Amazon ("Dorman Help! 42098"), just to check the size. It was too big, but I was able to cut it down to size. It has concentric rings around the edge, making it easy to cut with scissors. Once fitted in the cap, the somewhat unprofessional edge was not noticeable (hidden in the screw thread).

Thanks,

Cheers

Ian