Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 27 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

I am having the same problem with the hinge bushes. I have bought a set from both SJ and RDENT and all of them slide around hopelessly inside the beam. The door hinge rod is also a loose fit for these bushes. 

I take it if it is not a firm fit they are next to useless?

My old pins looked very similar to yours - severely corroded at one end. I also have the new pins from SJ. Strange that their pins and bushes do not match up.

Edited by Freemason

Yes the whole thing needs to be rock solid with no slop. If not then when you grab hold of the outside edge of the door you'll be able to move it up and down.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

At least you havent wasted hours putting everything together to discover the pins and bushes are useless! The new bushes are a smaller diameter than the original by about 0.8 mm. My top two bushes were intact and I measured them with a micrometer. S and J have my beams and pins they are making the whole lot to fit exactly. This is the only reliable way forward. Steve showed me a beam and hinge they had done. It was a perfect fit with no play whatsoever. You will have to get a local engineering company to make new pins, tap them out and machine the bushes to fit tightly in the beam. Unless you can access a lathe. Easy job with the right equipment. Worth it in the long run to avoid the doord dropping and wrecking the paint!

Distributor.

Anyone thinking of fitting a Dizzy don't! It will leak oil! There must be an internal as well as external oil seal. I cant say for sure but most of these new distributors appear only to have an external seal. You must have the original distributor and fit the upgrade kit onto it, else there will be oil on top of your engine and possibly ignition problems as the distributir fills with oil!

Matt Watts kindly inspected my car. I now have a snag list. The tailgate struts were inverted, easy fix. But now I shall be taking the Binnacle to bits for the third time, the perspex goes on the inside of the mask! Since I never took the car apart it has made this all very difficult. I have done some jobs four times! Only three complete assemblies on the binnacle so far. The only thing I can say is I'm rapidly becoming an expert!

Seat Runners

There were many problems with these and now I finally have solved all of them. As a reminder I drilled out the end stops removed the plastic inserts powder coated and reassembled using heavy duty rivets as the new stops. I replaced the plastic inserts with new 3D printed parts. There operation was stiff as the plastic inserts were slightly thicker. Also having added felt to the floor, where oringinally there was none the seat rail bolts were not long enough. Gave up and ordered new seat runners from S and J. These didnt fit as they were not long enough so had no choice but to solve the problems with the original runners. I replaced the felt with modern high desity sound insulation. A fraction of the thickness of the felt, now the bolts are long enough. I then took the runners apart, measured the plastic inserts against the orignal and filed down each one to match the original. I then reassembled the runners. End result they work perfectly and the bolts are the correct length. Its easy to refurb them now a lot of effort though!

post-17315-0-41408500-1439372269.jpg New sound deadening.post-17315-0-24444600-1439372312.jpgHeat sheild( thanks Vin) waiting tongo on rear valance.post-17315-0-03269900-1439372359.jpgpost-17315-0-00134000-1439372376.jpg new and old seat runner insert.post-17315-0-41408500-1439372269.jpg little bit of filing required to plastic insert to get optimum operation.

Does anyone know a source for the black plastic sunvisor clip?

Is there any point in asking SJ for some new bushes based on the ones he's making for you? Or does every hinge/beam/pin/bush combination need to be custom made to ensure a perfect fit?

If this is the case I might send by beams etc down to LotusMarques in Melbourne for Steve to sort out. 

Only had the bulkhead to trim and the A posts, Steve has the rest. A posts came out well after several attempts! Have to do the bulkhead again!!! Ended up with a joint in the top will try once more and if it doesnt come out perfectly its off to Steve! Had to practice a lot to get this to this standard. Had it perfect round the edge and cocked up on the final join where there was a slight crease I couldnt get rid of. Slightly annoying!post-17315-0-30323100-1439373225.jpgpost-17315-0-37165500-1439373243.jpg

If new ones are made to the correct diameter they might work but theres a chance they won't. I think it would be less hastle to have them made for your pin and beam.

So what should the outside diameter of the bush be? I measure the SJ and RDENT ones I have at 20mm. What is the inside diameter of your beam? Can't find a way of accurately measuring my beam but my original bushes appear to be just under 21mm.

Edited by Freemason

This is why the new distributors leak oil. In the original there is an oil seal as shown in the picture. Its missing from the dizzy!post-17315-0-34486500-1439568149.jpg the picture on the left is the 43D4 41623 1978, the one on the right the oil leaking dizzy.

if anyone is powder coating the seat runners the plastic inserts have to be removed. Really easy just drill out the four end stops. The inserts will come out intact. If the metal rollers are corroded you can buy new ones from simplybearings uk. They are 8 mm diameter by 8 mm long needle rollers, not cheap but are on the website. Then just rivet the end stops with large heavy duty rivets.post-17315-0-95416600-1439573119.jpgpost-17315-0-00762600-1439573143.jpg

Does anyone have a lumenition distributor? I am considering fitting it, but I also have a points version - which is the same model distributor. The dizzy electronic unit can replace the points version easily, but will it be better or the same as the optical syetem? Pressumably the Lumenition needs an amplifier? Are the weights and springs always the same if the distributor model numbers are identical? Just wonder whether the distributor needs recalibrating.

Have looked into this further and decided the Lumenition is likely to be less reliable in the long term. So have replaced the points distributor with the electronic ignition from the dizzy. The weights are correct, just need to check the advance curve and the cam angle are correct. Does anyone know a Company with a test bed? The distributor is in good nick without play and the seals are good. Just need to confirm the advance curve for optimum engine operation. Incidenly the internal seal is made by GACO should anyone need a replacement.post-17315-0-34248600-1439735977.jpg roll pins for the drive are on ebay or QED motorsport.

The distributors I have are both the exact 43D4s from the manual with the same manufacture number. The cam angles are different! One is a 1978 lumenition and the other a 1981 points version. I have refurbed the points one and converted it to electronic. The cam angle is 8 degrees( printed as shown in the example picture). Just wondering what angle everyone else has. The lumenition number is diificult to read but it looks like 21 degrees. This cars not giving in any time soon!

Project seems to have ground to a halt. Got the roll pin today and fitted. Just need time to refit the distributor and test the engine, with a fire picket on hand! Interior is still with Steve Fulcher and the door beams still with S and J, for bespoke bushes and new pins. Hope they come back soon and I can get on with this. Saw a white and tartan S1 at Bell and Coville the other day. Had a PPW number plate so dont know the reg. final part Im missing is the black sunvisor clip. Anyone know where I can get some. Must be off another car?

I have lumention fitted. It was put in over 15 years ago and I haven't touched it since. Can't get more reliable than that.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hmm... it's 'P' reg so pre Aug '76 yet it has the ashtrays in the sills? That early it should have the ashtray in the centre console. And what's with the inside of the boot?

Somebody has also updated the door mirror and added one to the passenger side. I wonder what the chassis number is...

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire