Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 63 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

Has anyone got these millboard parts fitted in the front boot? If so please could I see a picture? Where they only early S1 with single headlight motor? Is the body moulding in the front boot the same for S1 and S2?

image.jpeg

image.jpegThanks. Slowly getting there, but there always seems to be something else to do! 

i have finally discovered where the  relays were originally fixed to in the front boot, thanks to another enthusiast. The answer is the back of the millboard on the passenger side. The relay support brackets were bolted to the millboard. The original early S1 had only two relays because of the single headlight motor. My car has five, four for the twin motors and one for the Kenlows fans. Have decide to try and stay authentic and mount all the relays on the back of the millboard. Steve Fulcher has a pattern to make new ones so I have got two. Will strengthen the relay one by fibreglassing the back so it can hold five relays, just like I strengthened the glove box. Here's a picture of the original millboard with relay holders.

I'm posting this for anyone new to the S1 attempting to reassemble. I seem to be going over most parts of the restoration before I bought the car. The latest problem is the exhaust system. There is another thread I started on the forum but I thought I'd put it on here so all the info is in the same place. I did not realise but have discovered the later S1 cars were fitted with the S2 exhaust system. My car was at the end of the production run one after Matts car, so our cars are identical. Here a picture of Matts Exhaust system which is the same as mine. If you look carefully you can see its S2! The mounting plate on the gearbox is also S2. My car came with a new S1 mounting plate. The two exhaust systems are completely different. I had a very difficult job trying to adjust the silencer clear of the rear spoiler. It was touching and now I have to get it repainted! All because the wrong mounting plate was fitted! The intermediate pipe I got from S and J was for an S1 and had no expansion joint so the exhaust is nearly touching my rear wheel. Solution by this S2 pipe from S and J and change the mounting plates to S2. The S2 mounting plate and channel is much better as it allows more adjustment. At the end of this I think I may have rebuilt all of the previously restored chassis!☹️☹️☹️☹️image.png

Got the S 2 mid section today. Spent ages and it doesn't fit properly. The silencer is touching the rear spoiler again. Why does nothing fit on this car!

We are all in the same boat so don't feel alone, Deep breath, cup of tea, couple of faggs and back too it! For me it was like dancing with Darcey Bussell taking it apart and fighting with Mike Tyson putting it back together!! 

Paul

Do you have any pics of how it doesn't fit? What did Steve from SJ have to say? Surely must have some experience fitting the parts he sells.

Failing that maybe an exhaust shop can make a custom section for you?

Edited by Freemason

11 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Got the S 2 mid section today. Spent ages and it doesn't fit properly. The silencer is touching the rear spoiler again. Why does nothing fit on this car!

When you say rear spoiler I presume you mean the rear valance? If so, they all do. There is just about enough room to get some heat shield between the rear box and the valance but not much else. The S1 box is smaller than the S2 box though. Mine had an S2 exhaust on it when I got it and the previous owner had cut a big chunk out of the rear valance to get it to fit!

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

On 21/06/2016 at 08:45, Lotusfab said:

Here a picture of Matts Exhaust system which is the same as mine. If you look carefully you can see its S2! The mounting plate on the gearbox is also S2

Hi Fabian

No S1 Esprit ever had a S2 exhaust or even the 3 bolt flange joiners a S2 had.

In October 1977 they increased the size of the silencer (the same size as the S2 then had) and used new silencer gearbox mount  (was then carried over to the S2) the joints where male female type and clamped like a conventional 60s 70s  cars

I fitted all four possible configurations of exhaust to my car over my 1st year of ownership so I could choose my cars Exhaust note and a S2 system was the 1st one I tried.

I the S2 system is much to quiet for me (with or without the mini silencer) I love the sound of the early smaller silencer form a early S1

On my S2.2 I'm just going to fit the early smaller silencer with the original (s2.2) gearbox mount, I have made up an adapter pipe with a flexi to join a S2 flange type to the male S1 type.

I would use the larger silencer if I was aiming to get over 200 BHP

Hope this help

Matt

The more the merrier :yes:

Thanks Matt, assumed that was your original setup. The S2 silencer holder appears to have more adjustment? I'm starting to think everything has been modified on my car. I did achieve a 1 cm clearance all round from the Valance(thanks Paul) but the front pipe was S2/ mid pipe S1/ silencer S1 I think? The problem was no expansion joint in the mid pipe and it was too close to the tyre. Replaced mid pipe will S2 with an expansion joint. Tyre clearance increased but touching valance at exhaust end. Think I will bin the lot and start again with a stainless S1 set. Didn't  have much time to adjust, as I have to drive the car to an event today in the rain! Has anyone got a method for Installing the exhaust? If there is no further advice will keep on till I get it correct and post the best method. So far base of tail pipe needs to be 4 inches below bumper. ☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

Hope the car keeps the water out otherwise it will be a but like the movie, as its raining heavily!

Well survived depths of one foot of water around Weybridge. Would have made a good picture driving through the standing water. Wipers work but can't  see a lot out of the window through the condensation! Stereo superb with the iPhone connector and the Alba speakers Steve sorted. Rear valance was very hot where touching but valance survived. Next job sort the exhaust system and Valance spacing! Great fun to drive look forward to it in the dry!

Think I may have discovered why my exhaust is too close to the rear tyre. Here's a picture of my exhaust which doesn't look correct. The front pipe looks bent where it looks like it has had a repair section welded on at the wrong angle? New stainless exhaust required. Considering the tubular manifold sold by S and J but don't want to modify the diagonal brace. Presumably the diagonal brace is the bolt on bit in the picture?image.jpeg

SJ's supply the modified brace (just a bolt on setup), so you can also keep the original

I am considering going for this manifold

Vin Taylor

Seeing that also with the modified SJ brace the SS manifold is nearly in contact with it, I would suggest to use the SJ modified brace as a pattern to made up a 316  SS unit, if not it will survive a couple of years...maybe.

Giorgio

That downpipe is definitely wonky!

I wrapped some exhaust tape around the diagonal brace to shield it from the tubular manifold. It's been fine for 10 years...

Tubular manifold has it's positives and negatives but I wouldn't go back to the original. With unsilenced centre pipe it sounds nice too.

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Have been reading previous articles. Positives tubular - more power, looks nicer (although you can't see it), doesn't corrode.  Negatives - gets hotter, modified brace, more expensive, not original, problems fitting. I think on balance I may go for the stainless system fitted to the cast iron manifold. Thes no right or wrong but I feel on balance it will be a lot of haste for little benefit . Judging by everything else it won't fit and will need welding.

Will post some pictures when it's in and devise an installation method as a guide. iIf anyone else has a fitting method that works please can they let me know before I spend weeks at it! Thanks.