Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 69 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

Had a look but can't really see. Think I may rebuild all of this at some point over the winter and check. Would like to take the engine out but it's running so well at present I can't really justify it. When I do a rebuild in the future will put it all on here.

19 hours ago, Paul Coleman said:

You can see the shim here...

256fs47.jpg

Have you got them on each half shaft?

You won't be able to see if you have shims installed or not as they are sandwiched between the half shaft and the rear face of the 'Drive Shaft Adapter' (JC11 in parts manual, braking section).  You'd need to remove the brake disc and the half shaft adapter to check.  They don't appear in section FG of the parts manual either ! 

• Like 1

Rear lights

Starting to get more picky now the jobs are almost done. Spent yesterday fibreglassing the number plate holder in an attempt to straighten it. Most of the holders I've seen are curved slightly. Only limited success. In the end drilled out very small holes in the body and put some tiny stainless bolts through so the threaded ends hold the number plate holder square.  Looks a lot better. 

Have been looking through past pictures and it seems no one has fixed the seals back to the rear light clusters or number plate holder? I have not fitted them on mine, but  still have the original light cluster seals. Am considering refitting them. Can use an S and J seal for the number plate holder. Is there any reason no one seems to have put them back? 

Mmmm, can't find them in the parts manual either. The X19 fiat has them on the rear light cluster. S2 has the number plate seal listed with S and J? May have to ask Steve.

Mine has no seal on either the rear light clusters or the number plate surround although there was evidence of a previous owners attempt with black silicone sealant (now removed)!  I guess you could infill the semicircular recess in the mouldings with a dense foam strip to seal it off. 

Spent another day on the number plate holder. I had one metal bracket holding it. Think this is insufficient, even after refiberglassing the moulding is not ridged enough to retain its shape. So increased the brackets to three. This holds it flush and the tiny bolts hold the edges out. This has done the trick, although I think if Colin Chapman was around I would get a serious talking to for increasing the weight! Still it's all about what image.jpegit looks like, right? This is before I fixed the number plate holder kink!

Think I will leave the seals off as no one else seems to have them fitted. Try to avoid driving in the wet anyway.

• Like 2

Matt put some welding rods (I think?) in the recess of his number plate surround to keep it straight. I haven't done anything to mine at all.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

What filters? Are you talking about the oblong bits of foam at the tops on each side? I thought they were just there to let air our of the cabin when you slammed the doors. I don't think they filter anything?

And where are you putting it? Is it at the top of the B pillars? If so, isn't it just there to let air out of the cabin so you don't burst your ear drum when you slam the doors? I think most cars have something similar for the same reason.

Yeah that's what I was thinking of - pretty sure it's just to let air out. Not some kind of 70s pollen filter hahaha. I would have done it from inside.

Suspension

well after weeks of work the car is handling the best it has been, partly thanks to Kwik Fit in Guildford and their senior technician who has been extremely helpful. He managed to edit the correct setting into the Huntermachine. Now have negative camber on both front wheels. The caster is slightly out on the left so will adjust the ball joint later on. So the front is more or less sorted as the toe is spot on.

the rear toe is symmetrical and almost set, nit bad for a laser spirit level and a calculator! A 1mm shim changes the toe by about 3 sec. I have 10.5 in the rear left and 3 MM rear right. I need to increase these very slightly. But we are talking changing toe by 1/4 degree. The error in the reading might be approaching this? The rear camber is more tricky. I said you can adjust it by changing the damper setting. This is true but there becomes a point where further tightening of the damper has no effect. My readings are stuck at those shown on the picture. I can only assume there are shims missing from the drive shaft. I will take it to piece and check. If the shims are there the only way to adjust the camber would be to have an. Adjustable lower link made. Is it worth it? I'm no James Hunt and do not plan on exploring the envelope and so will not really be able to tell a two degree difference. 

The car is so much better to drive than before, although it's taken a lot of effort!image.jpeg

Glad you finally got it sorted to how the car is supposed to be set up Fabian :thumbup:, fair play to the kwik fit chap most would of just said they can not change the settings !  :respect:

A

I once had a car 4-wheel aligned and the guy doing it mentioned that a light breeze can upset the machine. The doors were open on the bay and I could see the settings changing due to the wind. He closed the doors and the car settled. If your required adjustments are tiny, it may just be environmental conditons causing the reading to be out. i.e. a gust of wind whilst tightening the bolts.

I know it soulds daft, but its true,

:) 

It's getting there......

Yep your right the tolerances are tenth of a degree. Who knows what the reading error is in all this. Yep the Kwik Fit tech was a great bloke and went out of his way yo sort it, a real car enthusiast.

Fabian

You have done a absolutely superb job of the rebuild and a far better job than I would ever have done, the car looks stunning and great to see you returned it to the original plate.

I will forward on the pics to Graham who I bought the car from, this poor thing has come so far since I bought it rusting away in a very wet garage totally seized up.

Apologies for all my errors you have had to fix especially the front upper ball joints as sure I asked about those once. You do have shins behind the rear disks though.

I was never that pleased with the seats but very limited who I could use down my way and could never have afforded the ultimate Fulcher Retrim. Glad you did as that really makes the restoration. It is lovely to see that ashtray in place as well, expensive item but clearly worth it.

It would be great to get yours, Pauls and Matt's parked together as all first class rebuilds and would looking unbelievable in a line up.

I have been away from Lotus Esprit's for a while now and think values have priced me out of owning another without letting my 1960 Downton mini go, still popping back on here does light that spark again.

Anyway all the best with the car and hope she gives you lots of pleasure in the years to come, you are a great guy and clearly very skilled.

You just need to add this to your Bond collection now...

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/lotus/esprit/1668735.html

Dave :)

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Hi Paul

I think you always have some regrets but when you see the standard of work Fabian and Darren are achieving I feel very pleased both cars found great homes.

Your car looks fantastic as well but I always knew it would!

For me time and other commitments meant giving the cars time/money was not happening, thankfully things are more settled these days and a couple promotions at work has helped.

I still own a couple Lotus Elans and one is a factory development car and the last to leave Hethel, both just need driving and maintaining so easy ownership.

I will buy another Esprit sometime if we don't end up moving house but certainly won't be taking on any big projects until my son leaves home, saying that he will want a car then and you have experience of that with your daughters mini...

Mark is selling a nice Essex Blue S3 Turbo  which is tempting and looks nice ?

All the best

Dave :)

Do or do not, there is no try!