Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
78 elite - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

78 elite

Hi, I'm new to the site and have a 78 elite. Unfortunately when I got it it was in bits. I have no engine or gear box just the chassis etc. I have gone thru the parts tonight and would like to know what I am missing. There are a lot of pictures but if anybody see's are thing broken, missing or needing replacement it would be a great help. :)

Richard.

null_zps8e8a707a.jpg

null_zps65bd0ce6.jpg

null_zps27d9d43b.jpg

null_zpsb2842145.jpg

null_zps1edc8d51.jpg

null_zpsd01cfe61.jpg

null_zps26a3104a.jpg

null_zpsbd58de44.jpg

null_zps534cea84.jpg

null_zpsd2d5d95a.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like all the major components have been stripped from the chassis ready for a swap which wasn't started so shouldn't be too bad to get together again- was this a chassis swap that didn't get too far? and is the new chassis galvanised?

I'm sure that if you have trouble then there is someone here that can help. Running second hand engines are availible from lotus bits but it starts to get expensive quickly depending on quality of finish. Whats your plan for it?

It's not galvanised I'm guessing. Got to do a little welding then it's off to be soda blasted. It will Probably need more welding after as well. It seems to be a very good chassis. Where is the best place to get parts new and used? I know I need shocks as who ever took them off cut the nut off of the end. I need new brake components and a rear drum. New bushes and wheel bearings.

On the subject of engines I have seen a few with rover v8's fitted. Is this doable? What is needed?

Hello Richard,

Welcome and good luck with your project. Rebuilding is so much fun than dismantling. Suggest you keep LotusBits' telephone number handy, they are the go to bunch for the elite / éclat.

www.lotusbits.com

Is best to call them rather than email.

Keep the updates coming, will stay tuned.

Edited by GavinT

• Gold FFM

Hi Richard, dont waste your time sending emails to Lotusbits, they never get answered, use the phone if you want a reply.Mike is a very knowledgable guy as far as Lotus goes although after a dispute I now refuse to use them. I stick with SJ or PNM.

Get a galvanised chassis and get peace of mind. There are a couple around that will only cost £100 or so. There was a Lotus excel rolling chassis (galvansied and better running gear allegedly) on ebay a few months ago that was only £200 - if your not in a rush and keep an eye out you can get some good stuff.

v8? given that your starting from scratch your options are wide open. There's a you tube clip of a 13b mazda rotary engine being fitted - having had a twin turbo RX7 myself this would be an absolute riot and it's such a good engine but it's expensive when it goes wrong and expensive to put petrol in it...

How about a jag v8 - cheap on ebay.

Lotusbits sell second hand engines that run which may get you 10,000 miles. a rebuilt 907 engine will be £2,500 plus the engine.

I guess the question is are you going for originality or power/reliability?

That didn't answer anything although was interesting so thank you bud.

Sorry I didn't see your post. I was thinking of using the jag 3.2 v8 but I was interested in knowing about fitment

I guess more than fitment, gearing is also an issue? I have been wondering about mine since I need an engine and gearbox rebuild and am torn between originality and doing to the car what it was always designed for. An alternate engine is never going to be straight forward though and depends on how much you like garage work.

Charlie, you'll have Colin roll over in his grave. A Ferrari engined Lotus!!.

Peter Wheeler of TVR fame said ' a TVR would never have a German engine'.

Edited by GavinT