Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
ABS light flashing - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

ABS light flashing

Hi everyone,

Recently my '95 S4's ABS light started flashing on and off after the car had been driven and the brakes hit hard. The car is braking as it always has in the 2 years that I have owned it.

When the car is first started, the brake pedal has to be pushed hard (prime it?) and I notice that when I am at a light, if I am pushing the brakes down with moderate force, I feel the pedal pushing back at me.

As this is the only Esprit I have ever driven, I am not sure if this is normal and I am more in tune with it, now that the ABS light flashes on and off. I don't know if it is truly indicating something or whether there are electrical gremlins.

Also, I am looking to get an alignment, but no one here in Tampa wants to touch it... they say they don't have the specs... even though the specs seem to be in the manual. Any suggestions out there? I can take it to the Lotus dealer, but it is a ways away....

Thanks!

steve

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Flashing means the ABS system has detected a fault. Take it to your local GM dealer, they can hook it up to a Tec 1 and read the ABS set code (just don't let them fix it!). Common causes are the ABS pressure switch and accumulator.

Hi everyone,

Recently my '95 S4's ABS light started flashing on and off after the car had been driven and the brakes hit hard. The car is braking as it always has in the 2 years that I have owned it.

When the car is first started, the brake pedal has to be pushed hard (prime it?) and I notice that when I am at a light, if I am pushing the brakes down with moderate force, I feel the pedal pushing back at me.

As this is the only Esprit I have ever driven, I am not sure if this is normal and I am more in tune with it, now that the ABS light flashes on and off. I don't know if it is truly indicating something or whether there are electrical gremlins.

Also, I am looking to get an alignment, but no one here in Tampa wants to touch it... they say they don't have the specs... even though the specs seem to be in the manual. Any suggestions out there? I can take it to the Lotus dealer, but it is a ways away....

Thanks!

steve

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

• Gold FFM
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

steve

As Paul has said ,probaly pressure switch.

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

Double check your brake light switch (at the break pedal assembly)...if it is sticking, it will cause a flashing abs light. But if the pedal feels weird it is likely a pressure switch or accumulator.

Edited by Paul93Lotus

Darn idiots or just plain lazy. They like to just enter in a car make/model and the alignment program automatically fills in all the correct parameters.

A good alignment person would enter in any make/model into the machine then manually alter the setting to what is in the book. Take the book with you the next time so they can manually alter the settings. It is done all the time at many alignment shops. One can use any car as in 2006 Toyot MR2 or something and alter the settings manually.

Exact same problem.

I believe it to be a temperature read out fail.

Where is there a temp sensor in the system ????

Only does it when brakes become hot or the car has been sitting in the sun.

Please updat as you make progress.

I exchanged all but switch and relay... :rolleyes:

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg

mine does it all the time aswell (gt3), its even been to the factory as they asked for a doner car to test, still no joy, but what they did do is replace the plug in the bonnet next to the pump on the bulkhead head, my pressure pump wasnt even pumping the brakes up so sometimes i had no brakes at all, just the pressure of my foot.

the abs is garbage anyway and dangerous, alot of owners disconnect it totally.

but try all the connections round the pump in the bonnet (hood as you in the states sorry LMAO)

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)