Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
How much to change for AP brakes on SE? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

How much to change for AP brakes on SE?

Hi all,

I was wondering how much should be changed to install a set of Lotus AP brakes from the late v8 on to a SE (1990)?

For example, I run AWI Wheels adapted to the standard lager size SE hubs.

I think those Wheels will fit the AP brakes.

But is it possible to install the AP brakes on to the standard SE hub, or should it also be thelater hubs, therefore making the AWI Wheels I have not usable?

Any other parts, apart from brake lines?

I intend to keep the standard brake master.

How about the rear end?

Is it possible to do the same here? Or should there be something else to fit?

I am asking this, because i would also like to find out if I should have the fronts on my Futura Wheels, (that I am renovating right now)  machined to adapt the standard SE Wheels? Or not if hubs needs to be changed anyway, thereby destroying the Futura's?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

The V8 hubs are different, as you know, and the V8 brake rotors go over the hub, rather than bolt behind the hub as on the SE...

So I think you'd need to go to the new hubs for the AP brakes, and I'm sure the AWI's will fit, but you'll have that spigot diameter problem.  So you could have some hubcentric adapter rings made to fit your bored 60mm AWI spigots on the V8 hubs.

You will most likely need new brake lines, and probably bulkhead AN-3 fittings to adapt the brake lines to the chassis hardlines, especially if you go with aftermarket braided AN-3 lines.  I'm not sure what kind of fittings the AP calipers on the later V8's had though, but AP usually uses a banjo or other port to AN-3 on their non road calipers.

I kept my standard master cylinder (non-ABS), and with my much larger 4 piston front and rear calipers, the balance and feel has been great for me.

For the rear, if you go to the later Brembo caliper, then some say you need the later hubs that have a hole for the parking cable, and you have to reroute the cable completely.  Not sure, haven't gone that route.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Thanks Travis,

Does that mean, that you only made the front brakes? Or found another way to improve the rear brakes+

Kind regards,

Jacques.

I changed my front and rear brakes

Front to 4 piston Brembo Racing calipers and 328x35mm floating rotors.

Rear to 4 piston Brembo Racing calipers with 313x25.4mm floating rotors.

And then I had to add a parking caliper to each rear assembly.

So my setup was all custom, I had to decide my own hat offsets, make the hats, make the brackets.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/42648-brembo-racing-brakes-my-own-design/

I used the master cylinder from my 89SE, did not add any proportioning valve.  I did go to braided brake lines with all AN fittings, so i had to add a bulkhead fitting to each junction.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Hi  Jacques

I'm  using AP caliper  (front )  with  standard  hub. it depend on  what disk and bell are you going to use it .?

if you  use org. V8 hub  and disk ( if you can get it )  it  may  fit   min. 17" wheels 

The rear  caliper  (brombo ) from  Elise S1  with V8 rear disk  and you need V8 adapter plates, bolts,  also need to change the brake hoses.

Y.Hotta

Hi Yasuo,

Thanks, I'll call you and we can talk about it.

It's not on the forge yet, but will have to some. But since I'm doing the OZ Futura's right now, I have to gather info, so i can decide if I should have the front Wheels machined as the AWI's have been.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently added a pair or Brembo front calipers to my Esprit with 305mm brake discs my kit was custom made. I still have plenty of space left with my OZ futura wheels. You can have much bigger discs if you want to.
Hispecbrakes offers complete kits: http://www.hispecbrake.co.uk

Calypso Rose Rules the World!

Thanks Gert. There is just the "small" problem, that it have to be an official approved upgrade here in Denmark, so make it leagal. Bigger brakes is much needed, I think. Standard ones are okay for slow city-driving, but that is also the end of those brakes.

I'll ask Danish Authorities about it asap.

Thanks,

Jacques.

Hi Jacques, In Belgium it's also the same, we are not allowed to change anything or you will not pass the yearly MOT. That is why I did not choose Porsche GT3 or Aston Martin brakes, as I'm sure the MOT guys know the difference between Porsche, AM and Lotus. I choose brakes which are looking similar to the later S4/S4s/V8/GT3 brakes.

20140722_223248_resized.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Gert,

I would like to ask, what did you do to the rear bakes? And to balance them bias-wise?

Do you have abs on your Esprit?

I don't as mine is an SE from 1990. (don't want abs).

Cheers,

Jacques.

The rear brakes are still original. I'm not tracking the car, so for now I'm not feeling a need to upgrade them, for now.

I have ABS, as all High Wings I asume and that is still working, so I noticed ;)