Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
how many of you are doing a full resto - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

how many of you are doing a full resto

andy b

You certainly aren't rubbish with Esprits, though.....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Frix

So much without words great job looks like you have good wether then i looked at your location do you know greg bray i have visited him in Brisbane great place.

great work on the Esprit.

Just back from castle combe i have met a chap with a s2 striped down i think it could be for sale not for the faint hearted this one i think. anyone interested i could find out his number and see how much he wants. 

andy b

post-4938-0-57590500-1410632236.jpgpost-4938-0-20424400-1410632293.jpgpost-4938-0-12111300-1410632354.jpgThanks Guys,nice comments always inspire me to get back in the garage.  I have a thread on the restoration section although i haven't put any thing up lately, its titled Small progress, i must keep it updated! 

The location is perfect, not one neighbour has complained so far and if they do i think i will run for the hills  :shock:

With regards to the chassis Iain, i must of spent  200 or more hours on the chassis and all the parts, i think i counted about 70 parts that needed prep and paint. Luckily i know a stone mason with a shot blaster which saved a bit of time on some of the big parts. The chassis its self i paint stripped and painted by hand using hammerite, i was going to get most parts powder coated but powder coating shows pitting and i didn't want that.

There has been plenty of times when i have thought what the hell am i doing, ive never restored a car before, I've done a few jobs on my old MGB but nothing like this. The way i looked at it was a man with a spanner and a screw  driver put it together so i can take it apart and hopefully  put it back together again? Once id started to strip it my thoughts were that's another bit I've got to buy and another bit and another bit and so on and on! 

The body was it a terrible state and i was told by a few experts to get rid of it and get another body, i didn't agree, two reasons really, one was that's another Esprit gone for good and two, that's not restoring, it wouldn't be the same car. Having said that there is alot of new bits but only the bits i couldn't restore or were not usable.

Now i know that talk of money is a dirty word but im going to tell you how much ive spent so far and how much more ive got to go, this is really for anyone who maybe thinking of taking a wreck and making her beautiful again, i hope no one takes offence? 

Before i do tell you i want to stress that this car was my boyhood dream and i wanted to restore this car to the very best that i could afford and believe me its more than i can afford really. So far £16,000, this includes respray £6000, chassis rebuild, new fuel system, new wiring loom, material for interior and wheel refurb. there are countless other bits ive bought and for anyone whose restored these cars you will understand the prices of even the smallest of parts. 

I have estimated another £10,000, this is for the Engine rebuild, stainless exhaust, cooling system which im going for an alloy rad replacement, tyres, interior refurb and lots of little bits and bobs. So approx £26,000 but this is every nut and bolt, i know it could of been done cheaper but i wanted to be proud of what ive done, not thinking if only i had just done that a bit better. Friends and family say im mad and always ask the question what will it be worth when you have finished? to which i reply "i dont know and ive not done it to sell" but i hope the Esprit enthusiasts among us understand. There can't be that many S2.2s left and i didn't want there to be one less.

Frix

Money well spent I have restored several loti over the years never gave myself the pain of counting the cost you did pick a super car to do your first resto and when you drive it you will have a big grin.

When you sit in an esprit and fire it up you know you are in something special and as for resale value if you want to own this car sir it will be that much if you don't want to pay that shut the door on the way out thanks.

Someone will want it because you have done a fantastic job on the car and as you say they are getting harder to find even in the uk.

power to you i look forward to reading how you get on with the engine.

andy b

Thanks Andy, 

I have never had the pleasure of driving an Esprit let alone mine, although i have been in an S2 that a forum member (pete) kindly brought round. Im looking forward to the day i go on my first drive, go to my first meet and take her to my first show, with any luck it should be next year. 

I read all the time the saying "if you can find a good one" i take my hat off to everyone on here that are going through the restoration like myself and im sure there will be a day where "if you can find a good one" will be over and it will say "Restorations are hard to find so get one whilst you still can" fingers crossed.

Edited by frix

Ref my Europa,

Spent the weekend largely fitting the interior, making up the headlining. Sticking a

large piece of vinyl covered in glue above your head symmetrically ain't easy! However, in the 

Europa my head is against the roof anyway so I won't be seeing it a lot...

post-1154-0-69403100-1410772537.jpg

yes glue and gravity i would be covered in glue never been one of those people who could go down a coal mine and come out clean. moving on nicely which the europa.

andy b

• 1 month later...

AS i started this thread had both cars out today changing them over on the 2 poster not full resto's but the NA HC has had paint now all back together except n/plates.

The 1982 turbo ebay purchase going for mot next week has not been on the road since 02 done a s***load of work to get it running looking forward to it.post-13282-0-43020900-1413916885.jpgpost-13282-0-87551000-1413916965.jpg