Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Crack in Windshield question - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Crack in Windshield question

Hey guys,

I noticed I have a 3-4 inch crack in my front windshield bottom right.. I am curious does this happen often in cars that have such rigid frames? Have you all had this in your cars at one time or another?

I also want to know what the best course of action is? Do I get it replaced (I think most insurance companies replace the windshield under normal coverage with a minimal deductible) or do I wait until it gets longer then replace it? What do you guys usually do?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

I noticed I have a 3-4 inch crack in my front windshield bottom right.. I am curious does this happen often in cars that have such rigid frames? Have you all had this in your cars at one time or another?

I also want to know what the best course of action is? Do I get it replaced (I think most insurance companies replace the windshield under normal coverage with a minimal deductible) or do I wait until it gets longer then replace it? What do you guys usually do?

No cracks in the Esprit but I have had owned a few cars with cracked windscreens. I usually just get them replaced under my insurance. If I remember correctly it cost me

banner-1.jpg

thanks,

Is there anything that you guys think caused this that is particular to the car though? I don't want to replace it if the suspension is too tight or something else that might be causing it to crack.. Just curious.. anything else I should look at?

I had a crack in my screen in what sounds like the same place. It can be caused by impacts from a stone (obviously) or it can be a stress fault caused by the body flexing slightly over a bump or hole especially when the weather is cold. This is what the autoglass guy thought had caused mine. I don't know what your weather is like at the moment but it has just started to turn cold around here.

It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your car.

Richard

Lotus Technical support told me it's important to use spacers when fitting the windscreen, however some say the screen can be fitted without, if the Fitters know what you're doing.

We've discussed this before on here, however can't find the thread on it.

I had the exact same problem a few years ago. I had it replaced under insurance and ordered the windshield from a company called Lo-Can. However, that company is no longer in business. Try calling Pilkington Glass at 800-345-9595. They have replacements in stock for around $500. You could also try ordering it from JAE. Good luck.

Thanks guys!

Is there a rush on this? it's a 3-4 inch crack.. and insurance does cover it that's cool!

Is there a rush? :blink: It depends. What does the vehicle code in your state say about cracked windshieds? How do YOU feel about driving around in your Esprit with a cracked windshield? I would repair it ASAP.

Edited by gmendoza

'03.5 Final Edition Esprit ~ 5.7lbs/hp

mildly modded - 430rwhp, 353rwtq

I understand.. it is pretty minimal the mechianic said it's so minor that it is not a vechile code issue because its not even viewable from the drivers seat.. He suggested I can fix it now or wait until it gets a few inches longer etc. No biggie I will look into it and probably have it done sooner rather than later..

I never noticed it it must have happened in the last few days..

A couple of days after some spirited driving around Brunty in July I noticed a dirty big crack in the top right of the windscreen. Can only figure this was stress related as there were no chip marks or impact nicks that I could see.

My insurance use Autoglass so I phoned the call centre they booked the guys to call at my house the next day. An hour later the actual fitters called to say there was no chance they could do it anywhere other than their office.

Turned out to be a real easy job, took em way less time than they expected. Amazing improvement in the view out of the car now.

Only downside, next day I'm on the M6 and it starts raining, worked out shortly after that they hadn't tightened the wiper onto the spigot properly so the wiper didn't move correctly. Didn't want to wear the teeth so had an interesting time of it until the shower passed.

So, make sure you check the operation of the wiper once you get it changed before you leave.

Andy

99 Sport 350