Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine part - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine part

ChrisH

While cleaning my engine I noticed a Green ball type thing with a small bore black pipe from below the carbs leading into it and a another one coming from it which disappears itself into the corner of the air box.

Anyone know what its purpose in life is please.

The oil and gunge on the oil filter side of the engine was un-believable, took me 4 hours to clean off but what a difference.

What gave me cause for concern that previous owners could of allowed it to get into this state

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that's the engine crank case breather. If it's what I'm thinking of it sits on a short length of tube from the crank case (about 1.5 inchhes long). can't remember where the other pipe goes to, and it's cold outside so i don't plan to go and look curently.

Andy

I think that's the engine crank case breather. If it's what I'm thinking of it sits on a short length of tube from the crank case (about 1.5 inchhes long). can't remember where the other pipe goes to, and it's cold outside so i don't plan to go and look curently.

Andy

Thanks Andy, it goes into a corner on the air box

Yeah it's the breather from the crank.

Oil like that on the engine isn't too uncommon and can happen for a number of reasons.

I had some breif problems (induced by me NOT Lotus) with the crank breather being restricted, if it is the crank case pressurises and oil gets jettisoned usually out of the level indicator tube (dipstick).

I totally recomend using a catch tank but ENSURE the pipe fittings are in excess of 13mm diameter or you'll do what I did and restrict the breather too much and blast oil everywhere.

That gunge is usually oil + road dirt baked together by engine temperature - imo you're right to clean it off as too much dirt on the engine affect's it's ability to cool or maintain a steady temperature.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk