Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Elite, running, daily driver rebuild. - Page 3 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Elite, running, daily driver rebuild.

markgenesis

Hi Alastair

If you are refering to the metal pipes to the unit under the dash i just cut those and left them open (no engine coolant flows through these, just air-con gas so leaving them open will be fine), tried to undo the pipes at the unions but they were too tight so i just sliced them with a cutting disc in the angle grinder :devil:

The condenser just unbolts from the chassis along with the pipes, and i removed the radiator to get the air-con rad out (was pulling the radiator out to check and flush it anyway)

I blanked off the holes in the bulkhead with a bit of alloy plate screwed on with short self tappers (and some silicone sealer) which can be seen here just under the coil and my heath robinson ballast set up.

dUqHQC8.jpg

Hope this helps :turned:

Edited by markgenesis

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I glad to hear that your plans have changed. I must admit it was a surprise at the time that you were giving up on the Elite.

So onward and upward.

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys, just a small update on the Elite, as mentioned didn't sell it, off the road at the moment for a winter re-furb, have decided to rebuild the rear suspension, ordered galvanised trailing arms from Lotusbits, also new trailing arm mounts, will also be buying reconditioned drive shafts and new wheel bearings, will be getting a load of bits powdercoated too.

In addition to this the front anti-roll bar bushes are needing done (again), the exhaust needing re-sealed (again, though i'm planning to delete the centre box), the engine will need to come out to investigate a crack in the shell, and the cam cover gaskets are needing re-done so plenty to do.

Looking forward to next year though and maybe taking it to some shows B-)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys, long time no update, got sidetracked over the winter by an E34 BMW and doing more work on my Land Rover, but back on track with the Lotus now, full steam ahead to get it back on the road for the end of next month.

Took it off the road last year due to a blowing exhaust, a creak from the body and play in the rear suspension.

I've bought good galvanised trailing arms, new trailing arm to chassis mounts, reconditioned drive shafts, polly bushes for the lower arms and got the lower arms powdercoated.

Should get this lot fitted over the weekend.

skmIdiDl.jpg

Got the front anti roll bar outer bushes to do too.

Also stripped the rear shocks, painted the shocks and got the springs powdercoated, gave the brake drums a coat of paint too.

73VsOCol.jpg

The exhaust was a stainless steel job, was relatively new but the problem was i just couldn't get it to seal, especially the joint at the front silencer, had it all off a few times, cleaned the joints, new clamps, paste etc just kept blowing, decided to make my own system.

Used a pair of Cherry Bombs for the tail box's. 

btxtK89l.jpg

Here's the rest of the system, deleted the centre box, used a universal flexy section for the front, 2" pipe to replace the centre box and a universal Y section, all welded together so only a clamp at the front and clamps for the tail box's. 

rbw8IYJl.jpg

Haven't fired it up yet but i'll let you know what it sounds like, will also be taking it all back off to paint it so will take a pic of the whole system off the car to help anyone thinking of doing the same.

Haven't addressed the suspected crack in the shell yet, will get the car MOT'd and back on the road then maybe pull the motor out and hopefully sort it over a weekend.

• Like 2

Coming together, your cherry bombs are almost identical to mine, I also took out the centre box, be prepared for a loud rasp as you shoot through the gears. But looking good, hope you manage to get it all back together and back on the road again soon.

Cheers guys, as promised here is some pics of the exhaust off the car, hopefully anyone wanting to copy it can make out what i've done and where the welds and joints are.

pgUv3mwl.jpg

VpzaiQJl.jpg

C4q6J0Il.jpg

Fabricated mid section using 2" universal flexy section, 2" pipe and a 2" to 1.75 Y section.

2RQC9fgl.jpg

The Cherry Bombs i used are centre silencers, used these as i didn't want blingy chrome tail pipes (no offence Charlie :)), had to weld on some 2" tail pipe to the silencers, the bends leading to the silencers were 90 degree ones cut, turned and re welded to form the S shape, whole system will be painted silver.

veEC6cnl.jpg

Edited by markgenesis
broken link
  • Like 1

some good work there Mark! I'm liking the exhaust fab.... I'm doffing my cap to you sir!

When you swap the trailing arms, borrow a tracking kit. I just bolted my new one on with the same washer count as the old one and it is miles out. The arms aren't always exactly the same geometry as the ones that come off.

I bought one of the laser pointer ones from ebay for my christmas, but I have yet to set it up and fix it (car tucked away for winter with other projects/priorities in front of it)

• Like 1

None taken! Great to see it coming together,  be prepared for a loud rasp through the gears. My very first reaction was not good when I first heard it, but I absolutely love it now and wouldn't change it. If you really don't like the noise, you can put back your center box to numb it down a touch. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about this guys but it's bad news and more bad news:(, i cant get my exhaust back on, ALL three manifold studs are nackered, tried welding them but that didn't work, looks like the manifold will need to come off to get new studs fitted.

Does anyone know if the manifold will come off without taking the engine out ?

Add to this it looks like i will really have to sell the Elite now, i've got a new project coming on Monday, the Elite is fantastic, i really enjoyed driving it last year and did plan to keep it for a while but this new car is where my heart really lies.

So i'm not sure if i should cut my losses and sell the Elite the way it is as a project or try and get the manifold fixed ? then maybe get it MOT'd before selling. 

I would repair and MOT Mark, you will loose much more money on the resale with bits not fitted and no MOT,  Dig in hard and get this done then maybe sell. :)  sorry the car is giving you dramas but hope you sort it soon :)

• Like 1

A

I took off and put on my manifold with the engine in the car. I use a quarter imperial socket drive set with extensions E.T.C. It can be done but it is a fiddle.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

You can get the manifold off without taking out the engine, it's tight but can be done. Dont give up on her yet, you will regret it later.

• Like 1

Have you purchased that car Mark, looks awesome :) Needs like it needs a lot of tlc and new paint, very funky front end and bonnet vents :thumbup:  It just needs a Gas Monkey sticker on the  trunk !

• Like 1

A

Yeah Dan, paid for it last Saturday, being delivered Monday night, it is a big project, runs and drives and is apparently solid but interior is ruined (it sat in a desert in Texas for years) and obviously will need paint. Good thing is everything is available for them.

Got the exhaust manifold off the Lotus :), will get it to the engineers during the week and get new studs fitted.

• Like 1

Awesome purchase :thumbup: I would take a wrecked interior   from the dry weather car over a rusty cold weather climate any day of the week, be sure to post some pics when she arrives at her new home, glad the manifold came off ok also :thumbup:

A

• Gold FFM

Glad you got the manifold of at last. And the new beast sure looks like a beast. Good luck with it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Got the manifold sorted on the Elite, running and driving fine now, hopefully MOT on Saturday.

UAvMsh7l.jpg

Y8w1TXal.jpg

On 16/04/2016 at 18:06, silverfrost said:

Awesome purchase :thumbup: I would take a wrecked interior   from the dry weather car over a rusty cold weather climate any day of the week, be sure to post some pics when she arrives at her new home, glad the manifold came off ok also :thumbup:

Heres the Pontiac in my garage, needs a lot of work but it's all straightforward, hope to have it on the road next spring .

YQOYQ2yl.jpg

It is really solid, will need a boot floor and a repair to the O/S lower 1/4 but no big deal (boot floor repair section is 80 Dollars)

SmPM1wxl.jpg

This is how it looks at the moment, looks drastic but it's all nuts and bolts, every bush and seal will need replaced (dry rotted in the desert heat), found the right hand exhaust silencer full of coolant so stripping the heads off to replace the head gaskets, found a good used dash on E-bay UK, bought a good used steering wheel (even that was melted) and a pair of nice M/T valve covers on U/S E-bay.

FPilbm6l.jpg

Shame i cant keep this cool plate.

9OwSKmbl.jpg

Checked the codes on the engine, the block is dated 71 and the heads are big valve D port 72 heads so pretty sure the engine is original which is a bonus.

Edited by markgenesis
  • Like 1

Cheers Charlie, i may start a thread on Pistonheads or Retrorides, will see how it goes.

Lotus passed the MOT yesterday with no advisories B-), will need to decide whether to sell it now to fund bits for the Pontiac or keep it for a wee while and get some use out of it first ?, it's running and driving great though and it's a great time to sell (shows starting), trouble is i love it.

Took some pics to celebrate :)

jrPqEXZl.jpg

OHquqPrl.jpg

GpLXl0rl.jpg

I recon the car is worth around 3K, what do you'se think ?

• Like 2