Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Stereo upgrade idea - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Stereo upgrade idea

Tony K

When I get around to it, I will be installing a 5" subwoofer in the white car:

53525.jpg

Available at The Fiero Store:

http://www.secureleadercom.com/fsstore/def...t=3&dept=76

(half way down on the right side)

I used to own a Pontiac Fiero GT with this factory subwoofer, and the sound was very good. It would not win any "bumping stereo" contests, but it gave clear, solid bass at as loud of a level as you could want to listen without the intent of bursting your ear drums.

The Fiero used a sophisticatedly space-efficient enclosure for the sub, and hid the entire thing up underneath the dashboard. I'm sure a good sound could be produced with a more reasonably shaped box, and, at least in the S1, there is plenty of space under the dashboard on the passenger's side.

So I just thought I'd put this out here for people who want to upgrade the sound but find an 8" sub to be too much or too intrusive. A 5" will never hit like an 8", but this one will cover all the bass you need to have an enjoyable stereo.

It will be a while before I get around to doing this, but I thought the idea might serve others on this forum in the mean time. :lol:

- Tony

Edited by Tony K

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dylan,

No offense, but I would not bother to spend that much money for one speaker in an S1. Wind noise, tire noise, engine music, and weird resonances transmitted from the chassis will spoil any improved sound quality that expensive equipment might offer.

I have listened to the $30 subwoofer for many hours/miles in a cabin of similar size and shape, and it does the job nicely. I like the sound it makes, and it should help transform the S1's stereo from pointless to enjoyable, which is my goal. This speaker will also operate fine without drawing enough current to cause concern about the S1s electrical system, which is much more important to me. :lol:

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by Tony K

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Dylan,

No offense, but I would not bother to spend that much money for one speaker in an S1. Wind noise, tire noise, engine music, and weird resonances transmitted from the chassis will spoil any improved sound quality that expensive equipment might offer.

I have listened to the $30 subwoofer for many hours/miles in a cabin of similar size and shape, and it does the job nicely. I like the sound it makes, and it should help transform the S1's stereo from pointless to enjoyable, which is my goal. This speaker will also operate fine without drawing enough current to cause concern about the S1s electrical system, which is much more important to me. :lol:

Cheers,

Tony

Touche....none taken!

Dylan

There are others on here, though, who will probably greatly appreciate your suggestion, though! :lol:

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

• 1 year later...
I managed to get an 8" JL behind the glovebox of my old V8GT and before that a 10" JL in the floor/bulkhead/footwell area of my old SE.

5", pah! <_< <_<

GKP...any pictures? I searching for a way to put a sub in my 84 Turbo with hacking it up or eliminating the leg room on the passanger side.

bac1023, do you have any more pics of your install? I have been wanting to do something in my V8 for awhile now, but hadn't come up with anything yet. Don't like putting it in the footwell, but really like how you have it behind the seat. Do you have 1 sub or 2? How does it sound??? Do you loose much seat movement from that setup? Thanks

Edited by M3S2k

This is the Alpine powered unit I have in my car, very similar to the Clarion unit. It is temporarily fitted between the seats until I get time to remove the passenger seat and fit it behind. Very good unit and not invasive.