Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Replacement Wastegates - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Replacement Wastegates

One of my wastegate acuators has met it's demise. So I was looking at the wastegate's that Ramspott & Brandt supply.

http://www.ramspott-brandt.de/ - Go to Esprit 1988 onwards | Engine | 3rd item from top.

They have 2 choices for the weight of the spring 0.35 bar and 1 bar.

Does anyone know how the ECU would react to fitting the 1 bar units?

Would it run lean and det or would it correct the fuel accordingly? Would it throw the CEL or cause fuel cut due to over boost?

Has anyone any experience with these?

Many thanks,

Col

Hey, can anyone smell fuel?????

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have pm'd you. I can get these for just over half the price of this site for the same make and get 4 different springs for you to choose from.

Dave Walters

Hi Dave,

I assume these are the ones that PNM sells which are the Forge Motorsport items correct?

Can you let me know what spring rates are available please? I bought a set from PNM and they don't begin to open until 10psi :)

I was told that these were OK to replace the standard actuators.

cheers

-Chris

Chris you must have yellow springs in yours. You will need green ones. You can either contact PNM and send you yellow springs back and they will post you replacements or buy the yellow springs seperate at

Edited by superdavelotus

You'll need a pump with a pressure gauge. You pump it up to 0.35BAR and the wastegate should start to move.

This is what the service book says:

setting can be checked using a using a dial gauge and hand operated pressure pump with 0 - 1 bar (15 lb/W)

pressure gauge:

- Mount the dial gauge against the end of the actuating rod.

Connect the pressure pump directly to the capsule, and record the pressure required to produce an

actuator rod movement of 0.4 mm (0.015 in).

Specification = 0.34 - 0.36 bar (4.9 - 5.2 lb/k-G).

If necessary, adjust the actuator rod length after removing the

Don't get the reason for changing of the opening pressure of the spring. From my understanding the wastegates operate at .35bar and the ECU controls whether the pressure is fed to the wastegate - i.e. shuts the connection from the plenum to wastegate so allowing upto 1bar if wanted. If you change the spring do you not take control away from the ECU and confuse it?? Is it not better to change the programming of the ECU - as can be done to remove the boost limitation in the lower gears. Guess the modules are cheaper.....

BTW - can you tell what code is loaded on the ECU as mine gives full boost in the lower gears but is a 97 car.

Yes your right in some respect Gav but I have spoken to many owners who have put the yellow springs in and it definately makes a difference.

Anyone changing their wastegate actuators and using a stiffer spring must also also an acurate boost gauge to monitor the maximum boost pressures.

I think the whole idea of changing your wastegate actuators is mainly because of the material being alloy instead of mild steel like the OEM ones. ALso the alloys ones can be disassembled to change springs and diaphrams if need be. Also the turn buckle is stainless steel.

And finally they are half the price of the OEM ones so if one of yours goes then you can buy two alloys ones for the same price!

Edited by superdavelotus

Right, sorted - many thanks for all your help Dave!!!!!1 :) The car's all well again now, pulls nicely through 5,000rpm with no trouble.

For anyone thinking about this, it is a bit of a job - I thought it would only take me half hour lol it actually ended up taking about 2/3. The main problem is access, the right hand side is a bit fiddly to get at the bolts, the left hand side is much more open and easier but the oil filter gets in the way when trying to get the actuator in and out.

I think the whole idea of changing your wastegate actuators is mainly because of the material being alloy instead of mild steel like the OEM ones.
Just further to this actually, my car lives outside. When i changed my actuators over it was pissing it down with rain :) and I noticed that rain coming in through the left hand engine vent finds it's way directly down onto the actuator below it which is probably wwhy it rusts out so easy :)

Hey, can anyone smell fuel?????

Glad you're happy with them Colin. If anyone else needs some then pm me. I should be able to get the same discount so it costs less than even buying direct.

I just like the fact they are made from alloy rather than mild steel.