Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
hey im new - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

hey im new

stuarty15

hey, im new on this site, im only 15 but as soon as i turn 16 i want an Espirit, i love the way the look, can anyone tell me wat the price range would be? thankz

stuart :D

Edited by stuarty15

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, im new on this site, im only 15 but as soon as i turn 16 i want an Espirit, i love the way the look, can anyone tell me wat the price range would be? thankz

stuart :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got mine when I was 17 (...long hours at Mcdonalds. Damn that was miserable)

in retrospect I shouldn't have. I got a great deal on mine... $10,000 for an 86 HCI turbo with 40,000 miles... but I've probably spent $3,000 total in repairs in three years. It's very hard to work on these things yourself, parts are expensive, and mechanics are expensive. It's like a relationship... it requires constant attention, and I personally think I should have been a bit more mature before I bought mine (I bought it because I had a lot to prove, now I just like driving it).

I'd recommend an MR2 to you... Probably what I should be driving now :D

You can get a deal on these things, but don't think you're just going to be driving around in a civic, or something that never breaks down. It's a different experience entirely. For whatever reason, the percieved value of Esprits is very low right now, but it will get lower if people buy them and let them run down because they don't have the resources to keep them in good shape.

But if you do go for it... good luck and welcome to the forum :)

slad

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

hey thankz mate, you have totally changed the way iv been thinking, i thought id just buy one an that would just be it. I am really re-thinking my "plans". Maybe an Espirit is not for me, but thanks a lot for your information..

thanks

stuart

hey thankz mate, you have totally changed the way iv been thinking, i thought id just buy one an that would just be it. I am really re-thinking my "plans". Maybe an Espirit is not for me, but thanks a lot for your information..

thanks

stuart

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no problem :D

feel free and stick around there are good people here... and you will own an esprit someday :)

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Hi

Welcome to the forum :)

I guess from the previous posts you are in the US

Here in the UK you can't drive until 17 and then to try and insure an Esprit at that age would probably cost as much as the car itself!

I had wanted an Esprit since I was about your age - took me until I was 44 to eventually get one :D

As the previous posts have said - you need to take into account the running costs. It would be just awful to buy one and then not be able to run it and have to watch it sitting in the garage. The best way to keep one going is to use it regularly. I usually try to run mine at least once a week.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Daily driver here! (yes I'm insane...) I paid a sh!tload of money for the thing, I'm damn well going to use it. I guess it's a lot like buying an expensive fur coat and wearing it to the beach.

Insurance is still pretty bad over hear, but not as bad as I hear in the UK... mine hasn't even gone down yet in four years, no accidents, tickets or anything :D

slade

Stuart, think your now the youngest here :) It is not a sensible thing to get an Esprit. You dont need an Esprit, you want one! Its better to buy a car that you like than a car that is sensible that gets you from A to B. We all love our cars even though they can be unrelyable at times. Its not about getting there its HOW YOU GET THERE :D

SUNP0003-1.jpg

It's better to buy a car that you like than a car that is sensible that gets you from A to B. We all love our cars even though they can be unreliable at times. Its not about getting there its HOW YOU GET THERE :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Surely you're not suggesting that a 15 year old buy an Esprit are you?

Cheers,

KFM :)

Esprit Fact File

I can't think of a single sensible or financial reason for owning an Esprit.

I'd have moved house years ago had it not been for my Esprits, and had

i done so (with the crazy UK property surge), then sure i'd have made a

hundred thousand pounds or so more in property equity...

Instead i stayed in my little house and bought a car that during one year

actually cost more than my mortgage that year to run, yet yielded no return!

No return finacially that is.

The return is in fun, :)

which of course is tax free and shows on no statement or receipt!

I've been running Esprits since my mid twenties, and although i may have missed

some of the 'identikit' lifemarkers and 'important' possessions, i would not change

it for anything. In years time i want to remember them 160mph early morning runs,

the many meets both car related and social, and the whole extra circle of friends i made!

..Rather than how big my lawn was, or the quality of my kitchen. :D

Go for it, take it steady though!

Be the 'Who's that guy?' then later

you can tell everyone all about it.

B)

Stuart, think your now the youngest here :)  It is not a sensible thing to get an Esprit. You dont need an Esprit, you want one! Its better to buy a car that you like than a car that is sensible that gets you from A to B. We all love our cars even though they can be unrelyable at times. Its not about getting there its HOW YOU GET THERE :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said :D I've had plenty of adventures trying to find someone with a car that runs when both the Esprit and the 55 Chevy die on me... Sometimes I wonder how I ever get to school and work.

Really isn't a wise decision to own either of them at this point, but like I said I'm crazy and more than a little stupid. Guess I'm a pleasure seeker at heart, (to the exclusion of a lot of a lot of things, such as reason)

That's why I'm in the market for an old VW bug as we speak... the antilotus. simple to work on, cheap to run, almost even reliable :P (although the Esprit doesn't get horrible gas mileage...) Course I'll keep the Esprit around;) Don't be like me though.

slade

You only live twice, once for yourself and once for your dreams,

Get a second job and buy the car,

sorry guys but I think he should go for it...

I know exactly what he feels like as I wanted a GPz900r when I was a few years older, and the insurance was more than the bike.

BUT, I got home from work and then got changed and worked on a farm for the money, worked 7 days a week

But I rode to work on a 900r and its still in the garage, its still does 150mph and it still pushes a smile on my face like the day I brought it.

PRICELESS,

money cant buy you love but it can buy great memories.

In fact at 10am tommorow morning im putting the just welded exhaust back on ready to catch the end of the summer.

oh, ps, before I had the 900r I started on a 50cc, then 125, a few 400s, a 550, a 600cc a 750 and then back down to a 250, then a 400 again and finally, after all that learning, I got my dream bike. Not that I wouldnt mind a ducati but hey, I wouldnt mind an aston martin either........ If I were you id be ebaying everything I owned and getting a second job, boys with toys eh.....

ford_tempo.jpg

Surely you're not suggesting that a 15 year old buy an Esprit are you?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If old Esprits were affordable when I was 15 I would have bought one. I think its great for the hobby when the young guys buy Lotuses of any kind. Would you rather they all buy Hondas/ Toyotas clapped out Ford Tempos etc?

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

ford_tempo.jpg

If old Esprits were affordable when I was 15 I would have bought one. I think its great for the hobby when the young guys buy Lotuses of any kind. Would you rather they all buy Hondas/ Toyotas clapped out Ford Tempos etc?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HA!!! my mom had a tempo just like that when I was young... brings back memories. (she had a probe after that... why the f*ck would they ever call a car "probe"... :D )

the affordability issue was one of the things that drew me to the Lotus, but turns out it wasn't nearly as affordable as I thought it would be. In terms of reliability, my car has never left me stranded (I've always managed to get it running again somehow when it has), but having it immobile in the garage for probably on average a month total a year if you add it up definitely creates problems when it's your daily driver, and would create even more problems if it were my only car.

I'd be much more for recommending the lotus if it wasn't a primary means of transportation... as it is, I am myself in the market for something like that tempo (price a consideration once again... $595 and I don't even have to worry about reliability, depreciation, or running it to the ground... I'm sold :))

I think the Lotus is the prime example of a possession winding up owning you. I don't complain too much though. :P

slade