Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
SE ECM wired in and installed - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

SE ECM wired in and installed

Artie

Well, finally got the whole mess wired up and aside from a few stray wires of differing colors I think I have the ECM ready to go. I ran into a problem with the pigtails for the 1228708 ECM, the "C" block didn't have 2 pins that I needed. I started to panic but found a junkyard open Sunday that I could pick parts from cars. I found a later model GM car that had a 3.1L V6 and it had the same style ECM but the terminals were set up differently. Someone at GM must have realized that they would be able to use the same pigtail for lots of different ECM's if they just made every pin port pinnable, these are a little different than the older ones in shape and overall design, but I found one in the color I needed and had the correct keyways to fit my ECM. Here's a look at the comparison.

artspictures38867si7.jpg

Notice the blocked off ports on the right connector pigtail. I only needed 2 more pins in this pigtail before I realized I would not be able to finish the project without these wires!

Here's the new 8708 ECM at home all wired up except for the secondary injector lead and resistor. If anyone is going to attemt this I have, with the help of Brian O'Toole, made a sketch of the new pigtails, with the appropriate wire location from the old harness connectors and color coded(about 95% of the Non SE wires match up with the SE colors). Now the question is did I miss anything? I double checked each solder joint, connection and went thru each pigtail wire sequence at least 2X to be sure I didn't connect anything in the wrong spot.

artspictures38864kk6.jpg

Sorry for the blurry picture

artspictures38865fg5.jpg

Artie

Edited by Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there

For the SE type connector "C"

18 and 19 go to the MAP sensor and Oxygensensor

no.18 color LGY (ligt Green yellow) to MAP sensor B

no. 19 Oxygensensor screened cabel ground

It look very diff. none SE or SE

Y.Hotta

Edited by esp88

Hi there

For the SE type connector "C"

18 and 19 go to the MAP sensor and Oxygensensor

no.18 color LGY (ligt Green yellow) to MAP sensor B

no. 19 Oxygensensor screened cabel ground

It look very diff. none SE or SE

Y.Hotta

Y.

Thanks, I already had the wire colors and location, my problem was that the terminal connector was blocked at 18, and 19 so I couldn't insert the wires. Did you do this conversion also? I am trying to figure out the secondary injector wires. I am trying to figure out where the ign. fuse wire goes(Green/slate) as I have located it to Secondary injector pin, also I am trying to figure out how to wire in the injectors and the resistor. Any ideas?

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Hi

My Esprit (1988) with Carb. upgrade to S4 engine and EUC

but engine harnesse used org. and I swaped conectores and

connected relays. Unfortuanely I'm lille colour blind so, I checked and follows all the cables with diagrams

About you question Secon injections:

+12V come from Fuel pump replay -> register -> second jnjectors finanly ground to J3C13 (Connecotr C green pin no.13 colour LGG)

Do you have the diagrams ?

Y.Hotta

Edited by esp88

Hi

My Esprit (1988) with Carb. upgrade to S4 engine and EUC

but engine harnesse used org. and I swaped conectores and

connected relays. Unfortuanely I'm lille colour blind so, I checked and follows all the cables with diagrams

About you question Secon injections:

+12V come from Fuel pump replay -> register -> second jnjectors finanly ground to J3C13 (Connecotr C green pin no.13 colour LGG)

Do you have the diagrams ?

Y.Hotta

Y,

Thanks for the diagram that's a little clearer for me, I am awaiting the resistor from Jeff at JAE(is this the "register" you refer to? Did you run across several wires that were different colors on your harness? My Check engine light wire to the ECM was brown and Yellow(followed wire to the boot CEL and it's Brown/yellow). Thanks for the help I really appreciate all your input.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Hello Artie,

According to my service notes the ballast resistor is 3.3 Ohm. (Service notes section EMH 4 page 4). However I don't now the wattage. If I'm right the two secondary injectors are around 15 Ohm each. They are connected in parallel and then connected in series with the ballast resistor. So the total resistance of the secondary injector circuit is around 10.8 Ohm (15/2+3.3). So if you calculate with a 14V battery voltage (running engine) then the wattage of the resistor should be (14/10.8)^2 * 3.3 = 5.5 W minimum.

Freek

Esprit Freak

Hello Artie,

According to my service notes the ballast resistor is 3.3 Ohm. (Service notes section EMH 4 page 4). However I don't now the wattage. If I'm right the two secondary injectors are around 15 Ohm each. They are connected in parallel and then connected in series with the ballast resistor. So the total resistance of the secondary injector circuit is around 10.8 Ohm (15/2+3.3). So if you calculate with a 14V battery voltage (running engine) then the wattage of the resistor should be (14/10.8)^2 * 3.3 = 5.5 W minimum.

Freek

Freek!

Thanks for the auto math, I am waiting for a factory Lotus resistor from JAE parts! I am just making sure I am wiring them into the ECM properly as I didn't have any of the wiring on my Esprit Turbo. I just want to be sure I wire everything in correctly the first time around!

Art

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Artie

Do you have the lotus service notes section EMH, it is all about the fuelinjection system loaded with diagrams and faultfinding. D082T0327J is the lotus number of the manual.

My scanner is already a long time in storage somewhere so atm I'm not able to help you with scanning specific pages for you. Let me now if I can otherwise help you.

Freek

Esprit Freak

Artie

Do you have the lotus service notes section EMH, it is all about the fuelinjection system loaded with diagrams and faultfinding. D082T0327J is the lotus number of the manual.

My scanner is already a long time in storage somewhere so atm I'm not able to help you with scanning specific pages for you. Let me now if I can otherwise help you.

Freek

Thanks, Travis(Vulcan Grey) directed me where to find them. I think I am pretty well set. Using the schematic you guys posted I've wired the injector harness into a weather proof GM connector, run the wire thru the boot grommet to where the Resistor will reside then ran the other wire up to the ECM to the injector driver (secondary output) and ran another wire from the fuel pump relay(Orange/White wire) also left unconnected for the other input to the resistor. I should be pretty good. I've double and triple checked eveything, and also got some help from a guy who did this before and was kind enough to make me a pigtail diagram with the location where the wires go from the old connectors to where they go on the new connectors. Of course I could have missed something or something. Now I'm awaiting the resistor from JAE and the chip and adaptor from John Welch at WC engineering.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Thanks, Travis(Vulcan Grey) directed me where to find them. I think I am pretty well set. Using the schematic you guys posted I've wired the injector harness into a weather proof GM connector, run the wire thru the boot grommet to where the Resistor will reside then ran the other wire up to the ECM to the injector driver (secondary output) and ran another wire from the fuel pump relay(Orange/White wire) also left unconnected for the other input to the resistor. I should be pretty good. I've double and triple checked eveything, and also got some help from a guy who did this before and was kind enough to make me a pigtail diagram with the location where the wires go from the old connectors to where they go on the new connectors. Of course I could have missed something or something. Now I'm awaiting the resistor from JAE and the chip and adaptor from John Welch at WC engineering.

Artie

Got the resistor from JAE today, wired in a 3 post terminal receptacle and soldered everything in nicely. Here's a picture installed. I just used some industrial velcro to attach the resistor to the relay panel where it belongs.

Artie

artspictures38870xr0.jpg

Edited by Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

• 2 weeks later...

Artie,

I have a question for you: did you buy ECM from Lotus dealer or somewhere else?

Because this ECM (PN: 1228708) can be purchased for 150 - 200 USD) for example from autoecms.com, but the problem is the MEM CAL inside. Someone told that MEM CAL inside is a LOTUS part you cannot purchase anywhere.

So.. did you use original MEM CAL from old ECM or did you buy whole ECM from LOTUS? Or what else?

Thanks and best regards (I actually bought a new ECM with a MEM CAL of another car).

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Nicola from Italy

PERFECTION IS NOT A GOAL, BUT A SYSTEMIC ANOMALY !

ESPRIT S4 2.0 L - MY 1994 : 2003 rear lights with LEDs, TAROX front brakes, 330 mm / 10 pistons, CDA air Filter, RAM AIR CONERSION, CLUTCH red hose upgrade, Eprom #10 from PUK-Germany, TAROX brake discs, adjustable dampers, POP OFF, High Performance Primary and Secondary Injectpors, Electirc Water pump, hand made 4 pipes exhaust stainless steel, oil catch tank with air filter, Custom interiors made by CUSTOMINTERIORS Parma in double colour, 3 additional coloured gauges (turbo, vacuum, gas).

Artie,

I have a question for you: did you buy ECM from Lotus dealer or somewhere else?

Because this ECM (PN: 1228708) can be purchased for 150 - 200 USD) for example from autoecms.com, but the problem is the MEM CAL inside. Someone told that MEM CAL inside is a LOTUS part you cannot purchase anywhere.

So.. did you use original MEM CAL from old ECM or did you buy whole ECM from LOTUS? Or what else?

Thanks and best regards (I actually bought a new ECM with a MEM CAL of another car).

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Nicola from Italy

Nicola,

I bought the ECM from a local junkyard for $65 USD. I have no memcal yet. John at WC is custom making me a chip to get the car running. Once I iron out the kinks of the conversion he will reprogram the chip to my specs. I have his Stage 1 turbo and an S4 head basically. I will pull the plenum nozzle off and the plenum plate and port match them and then have him redo the chip. Also, I can get the ECM for about $100 usd from a local parts store, I just need an ECM for a core.(I believe they would take my old non se ecm, they wouldn't know). Why do you ask? Are you looking into making the conversion?

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm