Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
waste gate capsule faulty? - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

waste gate capsule faulty?

right

just been doing some work on my gt3, in the bloody rain!

boost would not go any highter that 0.7 bar approx

i suspect the wastegate capsule because it seems as if the spring has gone weak and is opening the waste gate too early. hense loss of boost.

so i put a small pair of clamp pliers on the pressure feed pipe that supplies the capsule, limmiting the pressure to the diaphram. this in my mind would give the effect of a stiffer spring.

am i right?

well anyway i tried it up the road and hey presto i have full boost.

from this i would assume the capsule is faulty.

or am i just getting round a problem?

would be interested 2 see what people think

p.s: one thing i did notice a few days ago when i had the capsule off that i could pull the bar out of the capsule quite easy, as if there wasnt much spring there. does this sound right?

cheers dave

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI Dave

I think your wastegate diaphramm is sh*gged ! Probably has a tear or hole in it ,pipe pliers just slighty increased the pressure in pipe and and overcame the hole/tear !

Cheers

Nick s4s

Edited by fflyingdog

Simplest things first.

hi

wouldnt that make it over boost id the diaphram was knackered? or is it the ecu limmiting the boost?

im definately not getting over boost

dave

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just got your reply on ph gassing calvin

unfortunately i dont have free scan. running out of cash unfortunately and dont have a laptop so to buy both is going to mean less spent getting it sorted.

trying to find someone local who will do a log file for me as im also a bit worried i wont be able to use freescan if i did invest in it if your with me

cheers dave

The chargecooler is probably fine because the box is cold.

Engine temp might be a problem if your thermostat has gone bad. The ECU will limit boost on a cool engine.

As far as the ECU in learning mode, it does limit boost while in this mode. I would say 40 miles is not enough for the ECU learn. Have to open it up and boost should increase around 100-150 miles.

When resetting the ECU I always let it fully warm up at idle, turn on the A/C for a bit, then go out for a robust drive engaging turbo boost throughout all gears. Full boost should return. I would not be concerned till you burned a tank of gas after ECU reset.

By pinching off the actuator hose you are probably overriding the safe mode. The ECU controls the wastegate.

Also try not to fiddle with the actuator rod as the diaphram is fragile. I have seen it ripped by rotating the rod instead of the adjustment nut. The rod has to be held stationary with a tool while rotating the nut only or you will be sorry you did that.

A simple test for the wastegate function is accomplished by using pressure pump or the bulb hand pump from the the seat bladders located underneath each seat. Does the GT3 have SE/S4 style seats?

Calvin

The chargecooler is probably fine because the box is cold.

Engine temp might be a problem if your thermostat has gone bad. The ECU will limit boost on a cool engine.

As far as the ECU in learning mode, it does limit boost while in this mode. I would say 40 miles is not enough for the ECU learn. Have to open it up and boost should increase around 100-150 miles.

When resetting the ECU I always let it fully warm up at idle, turn on the A/C for a bit, then go out for a robust drive engaging turbo boost throughout all gears. Full boost should return. I would not be concerned till you burned a tank of gas after ECU reset.

By pinching off the actuator hose you are probably overriding the safe mode. The ECU controls the wastegate.

Also try not to fiddle with the actuator rod as the diaphram is fragile. I have seen it ripped by rotating the rod instead of the adjustment nut. The rod has to be held stationary with a tool while rotating the nut only or you will be sorry you did that.

A simple test for the wastegate function is accomplished by using pressure pump or the bulb hand pump from the the seat bladders located underneath each seat. Does the GT3 have SE/S4 style seats?

Calvin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just to add a bit of info

my temp gauge never goes as high as about 85 deg.

i have since found out that cooling fans out in at 87.5 deg and in at 92 deg.

mine come in around 80 deg

but this has been the case for the past 3 months or so and my boost was ok until recently

dave

just to add a bit of info

my temp gauge never goes as high as about 85 deg.

i have since found out that cooling fans out in at 87.5 deg and in at 92 deg.

mine come in around 80 deg

but this has been the case for the past 3 months or so and my boost was ok until recently

dave

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 1 month later...

IAC replaced and set up correctly along with fuel filter.

Seems to have cleared my cold start problem and runs a lot smoother.

still got the stumble at very low revs but im not too bothered about that.

found a load of split t and elbow joints that ive done too.

Just got to try and sort the low boost now.

suspecting the EPROM chip. Every reading ok and no leaks or blockages were ther shouldnt be.

might try a chip upgrade to prove a point.

im presuming if there is something limiting my boost to 0.85 it will still do the same with a higher boost chip.

if it runs up to 1.2 bar on a puk 11 chip then all is ok.

will keep posted

dave