Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Does it sound like my fuel pump is the problem? - Fuel System/Carbs - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Does it sound like my fuel pump is the problem?

MalcolmS

Turbo Esprit 1982

Just had my first dns. Well in truth it did start but as I was sat on the drive waiting for things to warm up, it just cut out. Now it will not start. Starter is turning the engine fine but it's not fireing up. Yes I have fuel :-)

Normally when I have the key turned to position just before ignition I can hear something that sounds like a pump operating but now there is silence.

I'm a novice when it comes to car mechanics but keen to have a go. I have a multimeter and the service notes.

My first question is where is the fuel pump and how best to get to it to check if I have good electrical connections?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Malcolm

As to whereabouts...if it's the same as the s3 na, then it's on the rear n/s bulkhead in the engine bay...

Get down below your rear passenger wheel and look up towards the back of the passenger seat, the terminals are facing backwards.

Good luck

Guys,

Thanks for the input. Hopefully I will get a chance to look at it tomorrow and I will report back.

Cheers,

Malcolm

• Like 1

If you're not getting the usual clicking noise as the fuel pump sends fuel to the engine you might want to tap the body of the fuel pump lightly with a hammer or end of a screwdriver to get it pumping or clicking again.

I often have to do it on my S3 if it's been standing for any long period of time.  

It won't click at all..... the Turbo pump isn't the clicking sort...it's a continuously running rotary device...pumps fuel constantly through the pressure governing thingy on the back of the plenum. Most likely cause for pump not running is the inertia cutout switch...if you look on the RH wheel arch, in front of the battery, that's where it is. If there is a red button sticking out the top...you've found your problem. Push it back in!!! Also, the connector at the bottom of it can get dislodged too...so that's worth a wiggle and a prod in any case. If this doesn't work, then get out the test meter.....check the terminals on the pump for 12volts ( with the ignition ON) and work your way through the circuit if there isn't any volts.  

• Like 1

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Thank you for all the help.

I had a quick look at it today. Thought I would start with the inertia switch as it is accessible. Manouvered the two white wires to try and work out which one had the purple stripe and hence connected to the pump. Then when I put the key in ignition, it all started clicking again.

There is a lot of good advice on this thread for anyone that has similar issues in the future. I just want to add that to access the fuel pump you need to remove the engine under tray.

Thank you again to everyone that helped.

Cheers,

Malcolm