Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My Elite - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

My Elite

I wasn't intending to put a build thread up. I joined because I wanted to find infomation on where to obtain parts and what uprated parts to use but looking at other builds on the forum I thought I'd introduce myself and put a build thread up.

I've built many other cars, my fave was a '73 BMW 2002 Touring. I was about to start on my Datsun 240z until I got offered the Elite so now I'm concentrating my efforts on that and selling the Z.

So just a teaser pic for now. I've already stripped it. Just waiting to clean it and get all the components shot blasted and painted up. Uprated bushes, coilovers. Upgrade the brakes if possible. New brake lines, fuel lines. Then restore the body.

post-20215-0-62987100-1436394332.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've yet to receive the log book. I took it in as a part deposit payment for a client's restoration job and in my own time I fully stripped it down to the chassis.

It's red but I'm considering a colour change to yellow. I love the one in the Haynes museum.

I have the interior but it's going to be stripped. Side and rear I will make my own perspex windows. Monaco pro bucket seats and harnesses.

Coilovers and uprated bushes and brakes if I can as previously stated.

Power I was going to keep hush hush but I may as well tell. I have a modified 231ps 6 speed Madza RX8. No idea what the bhp is on it at the moment but I like embarrassing new model top spec Audi's and BMW's. It's going to be the power unit and gearbox for the Elite. The power to weight ratio gets me grinning. 

The plan is if successful I will get an RX7 turbo engine and take it from there. My engine's recently rebuilt. Should last a few years and some track days. My son is especially excited. He misses the 2002 so I know he'll be keen to drive with me. The aim is to get the chassis/running gear done by November, then the body by January and have it on the road by March.

I have to do it in my own time around my current work.

The pic is when I got it delivered to me

post-20215-0-27502600-1436736023.jpg

Edited by mickeyray2007

Ok two sets of interior got dropped off today. More bits to arrive soon. While seats not ripped, or worn away, needs a good clean. As usual the peices where they have that foamy thing in the middle it's peeled away. Strange to see one dash with side vents and one without. There's more parts to come like dash clocks, switches etc, hopefully the front and rear screen.

Looking at it I'm still thinking of building my own dash and console. Ally door cards and rear. No rear seats. Just two buckets seats and four point harnesses.

post-20215-0-55428100-1436906589.jpg

Edited by mickeyray2007

The previous owner was sourcing parts for the rebuild. I dread to think what else he needs to drop off!! Apparently he has a shipping container. They're not the best but they're usable and the other peices can be retrimmed. I'm not listing them for sale yet as I said I've yet to receive the next batch of parts.

I'm still waiting for the rest of the parts to arrive to see what I got and I'm thinking I might actually use the black dash but using the best bits of both. But yes you can have the chrome surround off the brown one because I think it's too far in a state to be of value to someone. Slight damage to it where someone's fitted a stereo. I've taken it off and re shaped it.

post-20215-0-88097000-1436980587.jpg

Great to see another Elite on the way. The engine is now back in mine but I gave up at the weekend after the gasket on the exhaust manifold refused to fit. Also my father fell over the engine hoist and took a chunk out of his hand so all in all another frustrating day under the Lotus. If you don't need it. I'd be interested in the brown dash too ... or maybe just the dash top as this has gone to seed on my Elite. Al.

Still can't get the bars out the lower rear hubs. And one still on the diff that just won't budge. Will have to find someone with gas to give it some heat. I hope these bars are still available to buy. Need them out before I can take everything round the shot blasters.

Pm'd you re dash Al.

post-20215-0-43682700-1437062562.jpg

SJ Sportcars can supply replacement studs.

You will probably need a hydraulic press to move them out (I did). Somone suggested a couple of nuts and an impact wrench to get it spinning, but I used a press, and it took a LOT of pressure.

Once it is out, have a look at the previous thread and Michaels suggestion of drilling then tapping the hub carrier then adding a grease nipple. Thats what I did and keeping these greased with the gun stops them sticking.

It's strange because the hubs moved freely on the bars but the bars won't move either way. Cleaned them up too. Everything else came off easily. Cheers for the advice. This might be the last car I do so I want to make sure everything I do is right.

I need to get rid of all of these bits to gain space back in my workshop. They're not in the best of condition. I need to rob bits off the brown dash for the black dash but everything else can go. Still haven't got the rest of the parts so I don't know if there's carpets yet to come etc.. I'm going for stripped out road racer style.

post-20215-0-46181100-1437586834.jpg

post-20215-0-43500000-1437586928.jpg

post-20215-0-19497600-1437587035.jpg

Edited by mickeyray2007

Hi Mike,

What do you want for them?

I need lots of small clips and chrome bits and bobs from them but could take the lot.

Paul

Edited by pbharcourt

I don't want a lot. Would be excellent if it could all go at once.

RX8 off the road next week. Hopefully get everything that I need from it off quickly then I can put it ebay and get some funds going. Excellent interior in it.

And may have a buyer for the 240z shell. This will provide the first main part of the funds for the build.

Hopefully get the motor out this weekend and various bits I need. From the crank pully to the gearbox the engine is only 18 inches long! I want to sit it way back as far as I can but it depends on the gearbox when I try out with the chassis.

Lose the air con, powering steering etc. My only worry is the ecu may not let me run the engine or properly due to all the faults that will come up on it like no traction control or abs sensors etc because it'll be all elite running gear so a remap or custom ecu could be the expensive job here.

post-20215-0-44970700-1438029339.jpg

I had a power FC ECU in my RX7 which allowed you to disable that kind of stuff. I remeberbeing hideously expensive at the time but fully programable/configurable ECU's should be out thereon fleabay

oooooo..........erm non PC....but ashtrays?

I could be interested in those please......

thanks

G

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)