Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Interior colour change - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Interior colour change

Has anyone done a full cockpit colour change? I can change carpets/headlining and seats no problem, but Im struggling with the dash, door cards and centre console, going from beige to black.

cheers :D

Im Brian and so is my wife

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Turbo had a dove grey interior, now it has one that looks like black leather.

I used the colour material that Woolies Trim sell.

It's a simple job.

Clean off as much of the old colour as possible, using their own cleaner and fine wire wool.

Let it dry.

Spray on the new colour using an air-brush.

Let it dry for quite a while.

Apply their wax type sealer to make it water-proof.

And that's it.

I found an air brush is easier that trying to brush or sponge it on. I aslo found if you don't leave it a long while before trying to seal it, it gets moistened by the sealer and comes off a bit.

Other than that it's pretty good to do, looks like the finish of leather that was on ther originally.

I went to the extent of removing anything that would easily unbolt, and that included air vents etc.

Since doing it, the one issue was, I removed the A pillar trim, left it lying on the dash in the summer, it got really hot in the car, stuck together and the surface of the A pillar was slightly damaged when I pulled them apart.

Andy

Ian,

I've done mine by redying. I've also changed the colour from grey to black and red. See pictures here. This is Doors Hendrie's GT which he brought over to mine from Oxford to Merseyside one day. The frst picture shows the seat being sprayed in my back garden.

89595712RcHJfK_th.jpg

89596567YntiKf_th.jpg

85557732uSyhao_th.jpg

Or alternatively

http://community.webshots.com/user/doorsey

Edited by superdavelotus

Ian, is it the colour you don't like or is it worn? Have you considered just redying the same colour so as not to arse about with carpets etc?? (BTW there is a little trimshop near me if you need it.)

When am I going to see it then? :-)

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Thanks guys some good options there, Dave them seats look fantastic I will email you later for some info if thats OK, Mark the colour is like a toffee sort of colour, very retro and does go with the peroid of the car but just not my cup of tea, its in very good condition, carpets could do with a steam clean though.

Im Brian and so is my wife

I did mine whole interior for about
Edited by Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Hey Artie, did you actually change the color of your dash to black? I am thinking of doing the same thing to my car, but am hesitant because in the past re-dying the leather has never worked in my favor.

-Graham

Hey Artie, did you actually change the color of your dash to black? I am thinking of doing the same thing to my car, but am hesitant because in the past re-dying the leather has never worked in my favor.

-Graham

G-

The leather was Tan and Yes I changed it to black. I followed the recommended instructions to strip any old dye off with the special prepping agent I got in the kit, sanded it with 400, then 600 sand paper, wiped it clean and let it sit at 75degrees for a day to dry as suggested. I then applied the color as recommended, one thin coat at a time, which took a long time, but was worth the effort. The leather looks as new and much more up to date in black than in the "yellow/tan". Here's a pic of the old dash color after I changed the carpet.

Artie

carpet5050jpeg800jp1.jpg

Edited by Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

I have to say, the black dash looks worlds better then the "tan" My Esprit is also blessed with a "tan" dash and part of my rebuild is going to be completely removing the interior and changing the seats, dash, carpet, etc. Do you have any more pics of your finished interior? I am really curious how "real" the dyed parts came out.

Regards,

Graham

G-

The leather was Tan and Yes I changed it to black. I followed the recommended instructions to strip any old dye off with the special prepping agent I got in the kit, sanded it with 400, then 600 sand paper, wiped it clean and let it sit at 75degrees for a day to dry as suggested. I then applied the color as recommended, one thin coat at a time, which took a long time, but was worth the effort. The leather looks as new and much more up to date in black than in the "yellow/tan". Here's a pic of the old dash color after I changed the carpet.

Artie

carpet5050jpeg800jp1.jpg

Here are a few pics of the process, The dye if done correctly is quite durable, I have scuffed the door panels now several times getting in and out of the car, and I can just wipe off the scuff with a cloth, no scratch or any removal of the dye. The preparation is the key, a couple of parts I initially just "painted" with dye to test the color scraped dye right off and cracked on soft parts to see tan thru very easily. After reprepping and dying the right way, they held strong. I considered getting the interior retrimmed, in addition to the seats but with all of the other work I am currently undertaking on this car I couldn't justify the cost, I figured this would hold me until I could afford to retrim the interior. I'm also replacing the engine in one of my RX7's so funds are short for "Major" refurbs right now.

Here are a couple of pics of the procedure, I didn't take any whilst sanding as it didn't seem worth the effort.

artspictures38851rw2.jpg

artspictures385fl8.jpgartspictures38853ds0.jpg

The color is quite good and I did the dying as per the instructions in light coats to not streak the color finish and I do think it came out better than I initially thought it might. I'm quite pleased and I am not easily impressed by much! This stuff is the real deal. I would recommend the Liquid Leather, top notch product, comes with instructions and the technical help and customer service is top notch!

Artie

Here's the engine coming out of the 7! Just for fun.

artspictures38885rc7.jpg

OUT!

artspictures38890ce8.jpg

I have to say, the black dash looks worlds better then the "tan" My Esprit is also blessed with a "tan" dash and part of my rebuild is going to be completely removing the interior and changing the seats, dash, carpet, etc. Do you have any more pics of your finished interior? I am really curious how "real" the dyed parts came out.

Regards,

Graham

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm