Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Suspension suggestions - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Suspension suggestions

I am looking to do some upgrading to the suspension on my car and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me. The car is a 93 SE. I would like to get the Lotus upgrade but I would also like to lower the car a little especially in the back. Does anyone know if the Lotus suspension upgrade for the cars that were lowered from the factory (X180, S300) would be a good choice to accomplish this? I guess I could go with an adjustable setup, but I dont have any idea where to start there. I did put some V8 size wheels on the car so getting it lowered is almost necessary. I read that the Lotus suspension gives a 10mm lower option but is that enough? Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks

Chuck

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd stick with Lotus stuff as they're set up for your car by the men who know best... and i'd just be content with the 10mm drop as that must be all they'd recomend. I hear the kit is awesome from Kato and if I had the cash i'd definately be doing that to my car too...

Mark

Edited by mwmackenzie

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

The lotus suspension can be modified if you want. It's possible to put another platform lower on the damper to lower the suspension. This would have to be welding on by someone who knows what they're doing. But isn't a big job.

The Lotus Suspension package is really good and better than any adjustables (unless you have a track and techies to set it up, then it will only really be good for track and not road). All the Esprit that have had the new kit fitted have all given very positive feedback.

kato

lew_small.gif

http://www.lotusespritworld.com' target='_blank'>

Hi Chuck,

If you like, you could also consider one of our suspension kits for your Esprit. The height is fully adjustable and the bound/rebound is also adjustable. Additionally you can choose the spring rates of your choice.

A very good one for the SE is the 4 dampers + 4-springs K-Type DOT 5/6.

Installation is very straight forward (its just bolt-on) and setup-adjustments are really easy to do. We do these kits for more than 5 years now for the Esprit with very good results :rolleyes:

Look: http://freudhoefer.de/lotus/esprit/product...nsion/index.htm

Cheers

Marcus

PS: Great "K

Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus

Echoing Kato's words really.

It depends what you want the car for - looks or ride quality or a combination.

You also have to know what you're doing and put a few hours in testing the setup out.

You could fit an adjustable kit, lower the lot and have to firm the suspension right up but you'll get increased tyre wear, weight shift issues and the handling will change depending on the roads - firming it right up over here on the UK roads will mean the tyre will spend more time in the air than on the ground due to bumps in the road.

I'm going to fit either SPAX or the aluminium dampers PUK sell onto my track car mainly because I want to play with settings and experience the whole deal but also becuase the car is going to be a road / track cross so whats good for the track wont be good for the road. Lotus do kits for these on the Exige etc - basically turn up on the track, few clicks and the suspension is tightened, when it's home time - click-click and the car is back to normal.

There's nothing to stop you having a play - ride quality can be a personal thing, a lot of people can find the Esprit quite hard and dont appreciate that is a trade off for it's handling attributes. What some people like other people can loathe. It also depends on what you use the car for, on the twisties you want a nice balanced suspension, on the track you probably want it firmed up and lowered, for 1/4 mile you want it softer at the back and so on and so on.

I would have a read and find out what you intend to do with your car and see what effects it'll have on it (pretty much every change has a positive and negative attribute, chassis dynamics is a balancing act).

In my expereience only the slightest changes in the suspension can affect the car in a major way, depending how hard or soft you drive the car.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Hi Chuck,

I just went through this whole ordeal with my S4. This is the set up that I ended up going with and I am more than pleased. I lowered the car 1.75 inches. I used Gaz dampers all around and Eibach Springs. 275 lbs in the front and 225 in the rear. I am more than pleased with the set up. I know of a few others that use this same set up and all are pleased with the results. The biggest thing I have found is that getting the alignment done is extremely important, if the alignment is off then the ride quality takes a nose dive. Good luck!

Jason

From memory the new Lotus setup (Eibach?) that replaced the original damper units has 2 settings for height, standard and another ring 10mm down.

I can't remember if that applies to S cars and G cars or just oneof them.

I have to admitt I was too busy giving myself a mental barage of abuse, for getting my non-Lotus adjustables a few weeks earlier, when I could have waited and bought some thay had done all the settings for.

Andy

Thanks for the responses!

Before I steer toward a fully adjustable setup, can anyone tell me:

1. Would the Lotus upgrade for the X180R or Sport 300 give a lower ride height than the upgrade kit for the SE?

2. Are the older Esprits in the US higher in the rear because of US regulations concerning bumper height?

3. If so, would an official upgrade kit from Lotus be already lower than what I have now because it is direct from the UK?

Thanks

Chuck

Thanks for the responses!

Before I steer toward a fully adjustable setup, can anyone tell me:

1. Would the Lotus upgrade for the X180R or Sport 300 give a lower ride height than the upgrade kit for the SE?

2. Are the older Esprits in the US higher in the rear because of US regulations concerning bumper height?

3. If so, would an official upgrade kit from Lotus be already lower than what I have now because it is direct from the UK?

Thanks

Chuck

The US Esprits are 170mm front and rear, the manual does not show any difference for UK versions... could be wrong.

Since the driver and engine lean are on the same side in the US, I think it is a good thing to be able to raise the left rear 3mm higher than the right rear to correct for the extra mass. You could do corner weighting, but I was told 3mm, and I ried 3mm, and it feels so much better. Corners more evenly from left to right turns.

The X180-R dampers are unavailable, not sure about the Sport 300... The differences in the chassis allowed the lower ride height to work well. Anti dive, anti squat, different steering rack mounting and alignment geometry.

Your '93.5 should have the adjustable camber, so if you do go lower you'll be able to fix the geometry. That's a good thing.

I have the SPax, and you definitely won't get lower with those, infact the front will be raised 3mm (Spax can't go any lower than that) unless you risk it and remove one of the locking rings...

I would go with another adjustable system. No experience with anything but Carrera...

My Friend just ordered a custom set of Koni double adjustables for his X80-R, but hasn't installed them yet. If I were to do it again I might get a set of adjustable, rebuildable, revalvable Carrera/QA1 shocks and springs.

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE