Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Are wheel bolts the same going from 15/16 stock to Saturns on a 93SE - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Are wheel bolts the same going from 15/16 stock to Saturns on a 93SE

When and if the day comes that I actually wear out the Toyo tires on my factory stock 15 front and 16 rear wheels and then go to the 17 and 18 Saturn wheels, will I need to find different bolts? I do understand that the front holes need to be reamed out to fit. Thanks guys.

MikieP

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 19/10/2015, 07:35:14, MikieP said:

I do understand that the front holes need to be reamed out to fit. Thanks guys.

MikieP

It is the concentric hub center that is different.  The SE ones are a fraction larger on the front only. You have three choices, machine the hubs, the wheels, or buy  later spec front hubs.  

NB.. You may also find the larger wheels can rub the inner arch slightly..  The later spec cars also had a modified drop link with an offset . This will centralize the larger wheel better in the wheel well and help relive this issue if it becomes problematic.    

Hi Dave!

Very cool to understand more about this mod. Had a water heater burst in my basement last week so took a bit of time to come back with my reply to your great information. I suppose machining the wheels themselves would be the best bet then? Seems certainly cheaper. Nice to know bolts are the same as well. Only bought the Saturns because I could no longer locate matching tires for the stock wheels anywhere in the world any longer and my gut tells me the front and rear treading should match, no? Cheers for now.

MikieP

and my gut tells me the front and rear treading should match, no?

Tirerack has this to say...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=136

Having said that....

I've never had fronts and rears wear at the same rate anyway (it's usually the driven wheels which wear the fastest in my (limited) experience)

Lotus told me not to put bigger/smaller tyres on my SE for the sake of handling (Isn't that exactly what you're doing?)

I have different brands (but correct size) on my car (Toyo Proxes and Dunlop Sport SP). At the road legal speeds I drive (and in usually dry/warm conditions), I really don't think it's going to be an issue. Tyre technology over the years has probably improved since 1990 so it may offset any shortfalls of putting different brands/tread patterns front/rear (unless we are talking about mixing winter/summer tread patterns or sticky race tyres/non-sticky road tyres).

Over to the experts.... ;)

Agree with the link's summations. Hopefully they will not rot out while being held in storage in my garage while waiting for me to use up the tread on the currently mounted tires. That is why I have not had them mounted on the Saturns as yet to see what is needed to get them on the SE.