Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit S2.2 LHD headlights configuration - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit S2.2 LHD headlights configuration

Hi gents,

I'm ordering a full set of front lights and I'm not sure about correct set-up for the LHD countries. On the SJ site the four lamps are all the same for the LHD market so main and dip for the four lamps, but I think I will order the PNM KIT as it has a full stainless hardware and mounting plates but PNM states that the outer and inner lamps are different so dip and main. Does anyone knows the original set-up for the LHD cars?

Thanks

Giorgio

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Giorgio,

My S2 was equipped with 4 Cibie lamps (all 4 lamps were the same).  I wasn't sure if they were all supposed to be identical so I started researching to see what would be correct.  The following response was received from Daniel Stern Lighting here in the US:

Your lamps appear to be in good condition, but no, it's definitely not the case that all four should be the same. For one thing, it's not legal (in Europe, USA, Canada, or most of the rest of the world) to have fewer or more than two low-beam headlamps on a car. The number allowed is two, and the number required is two. With high beam it's different; each vehicle can have either two or four. But even if your inboard H4s are wired up so they light only in high beam mode, that's far from optimal. The reason is because the H4 high/low beam lamp's high beam mode provides mostly width and close-range fill, while the dedicated H1 high beam lamps provide mostly long-range distance reach and mid-range fill. The H1 high beams and the high beam mode of the H4 high/low are intended to work together to provide a composite beam that gives you the width _and_ reach you need for empty roads, particularly in a high-performance car.

The high-beam lamp units that go with your H4s are the second ones pictured at http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html (you'll recognize the first headlamp as the H4 unit you already have).

So the first question is whether you want to correct the setup and put the intended high beam units in place. The second question is how your headlamps are wired (or how they will be wired by the time you're done with them); see http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html . This goes into selecting bulbs. Small H4 headlamps (any brand) are quite inefficient on low beam, so if that's the kind you'll be sticking with for your low beams, and you drive this car at night, you really ought to put in better bulbs for at least adequate nighttime seeing -- but that will require decent feeds and grounds.

At your service,

DS

I have not replaced my lamps yet as there are many other things to do so I cannot comment further on the above.  Hope this is of some help.

Lou R

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Being as how I move across the Channel fairly frequently, I have 4 main/dip units...two for RH dip and 2 for LH dip...and I switch between them, depending on where I am!! Keep meaning to modify it still further, so that all 8 beams can work at once....(!)

• Like 1

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein