Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Running very rich plugs are black - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Running very rich plugs are black

Guest johnnyd

Guest johnnyd

Hello

first time post. My 93 se is running very rich the plugs are black it smells like gas. And it bucks, hesitates, and just flat out will not run right. New TPC, no vacuum leaks, waste gate working fine, cam timing perfect, and no check engine light on. Ineed help badly wanted to take to a wedding this weekend Thank you

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello

first time post.  My 93 se is running very rich the plugs are black it smells like gas.  And it bucks, hesitates, and just flat out will not run right.  New TPC, no vacuum leaks, waste gate working fine, cam timing perfect, and no check engine light on.  Ineed help badly wanted to take to a wedding this weekend Thank you

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How old are the plugs and are you using the NGK BPR6EKN?

How does it idle?

Reconfirm firing order by checking the numbers stamped on the coil pack. They should corespond to the correct cyls that the cables are routed to.

Guest johnnyd

The firing order is correct and the plugs are about 500 miles old. Ishould add this started after I replaced the gas tanks. Does the ecu have a ground that should be attached

if u have disturbed the gas tanks, maybe now there is a restriction some where, a blocked or crimped hose. a blocked filter. (mine was really blocked up). if the pump is struggling to supply, it causes the ecu to enrichen, making the sooty plugs thing, horrible running etc

Guest johnnyd

It did idle at 1000rpm, now 900 but seems like it is missing, will not rev clean inidle now either, put a new fuel filter when I replaced the tanks has good fuel pressure and vacuum, Maybe a 02 sensor???????

It did idle at 1000rpm, now 900 but seems like it is missing, will not rev clean inidle now either, put a new fuel filter when I replaced the tanks has good fuel pressure and vacuum, Maybe a 02 sensor???????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it is idling poorly it may be the injectors. A quick check would be to unplug injector electric leads one at a time. The one that does not make the runing worse is your problem is it is bad. Or if you are handy with a meter check them to see what they read. But chances are if you are asking us this question you probably can't don't know how to do this. Are all the plugs sooty?

Guest johnnyd

ALL the plugs get a dry black powder on them very quickly after I just put another set of new plugs in, I also just put a new o2 sensor in and I get a high reading from the signal wire a steady .920-.927v which should tell the ecu to lean the mixture. No I can not get a clean rev from idle unless I ease into it. The car idles like it is missing. Black somke from tail pipe. Could the timing be off. The timing light says 18degree btdc. Please Help I,m very frustraded

Thanks

Johnny D