Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus 23 - Motorsport - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus 23

rogerch

Remembering 1962 I think the Lotus 23 that ran away from the competition on it's debut at the Nurburgring.

Antone know the lap times and how fast can a standard Elise lap the Nurburgring? Might be one for Kimbers.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only laptime I could find for Jim Clark in the 23 is a mention in the MotorSport report of the race. He did 9m46s when the track was still a little damp. The best race lap by Phil Hill in a Ferrari was 9m31s, the Ferraris were faster than the Lotus when the track dried out.

Thanks for that, so it seems a standard Elise is about a minute and 10 seconds faster.  Awesome! 

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I think you need to bear in mind that the track was a little different then & most laptimes quoted today are for the Tourist layout of the circuit which is somewhat shorter than the track used in 1962.

But we can put Jim Clark in an Elise either.

• Gold FFM

Many of the publicly posted lap times are bridge-to-gantry, which ignores a large chunk of track. I think the circuit has been modified a number of times.

If you can find a copy I highly recommend watching Derek Bell's onboard lap from the video "In Car 956". Should be able to find a copy on youtube easily.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com