Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Speedo Right Angle Drive Repair? - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Speedo Right Angle Drive Repair?

peteyg

Question

So my right angle drive is duff which is why my speedo doesn't work properly. No longer available from SJ. Any idea if these units can be rebuilt/refurbed or know of another source?

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

13 answers to this question

You could ask Harry Martens, he'd be able to give you an idea if it possible to fix it and he may have an exchange drive he could sell you. He does post on TLF or you could check out his website and send him an email.

http://www.ds-vitesse.com/en/

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

HI Pete, there are two types of angle drive, what's yours? I have a brand new one but mine is the other type so if it's the same I can give it to you, just post a pic of the part. 

Giorgio

If Giorgios is not correct another solution would be to ask Harry if he has any of the standard Citroen speedo straight drives, and then fit a standard speedo right-angle drive to the back of the speedo. These are a pretty standard part but the later Esprit one is a kind of hybrid of a standard drive plus the bit which fits into the gearbox.

Its function is only to reverse the speedo cable rotation.

Thanks guys. The short inner cable seems to be stuck in the drive which is no doubt part of the problem.

@giorgio67 - thanks for the offer. This is what I have, does it match?

@dsvitesse1 - Harry, do you stock replacements or can it be fixed?

And just to compound the issue, MOT is due in 2 weeks time :(

IMAG0747_zpsxuhk04ey.jpg

IMAG0745_zpsvu7gk9kb.jpg

IMAG0744_zpslonxtjcl.jpg

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hi, i will look in shop tomorrow morning, however I doubt if I have the correct replacement.

I think mine is slightly different. Will take photo and send.

cheers

with kind regarDS,

Harry Martens

www.ds-vitesse.com

This is one of the things that worries me about owning one of these cars and using it... eventually parts will run out and because of the small numbers of cars left there is little chance of people reproducing things. A classic example is the dwindling supply of original size tyres. My car has clear glass and if some of that got damaged I'd never get a replacement :ermm:

Have you tried Lotus Bits?

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Is this the early type which has a cable attached to both ends of it? 

If its not the type which fits into the gearbox it might be a standard item. A Google image search on "speedo right angle drive" brings up many which look like it. 

Hi I have a drive sitting on my bench but you will need to let me know the internal diameter of the knurled screw connection to gearbox as I bought this thinking it would fit my éclat but it is smaller than the one currently fitted

Regards Alec

A Burgess

Managed to get one from Kelvdon Motors and I have found somewhere that says that can repair so I'll send the old one off so I will have a spare.

Thanks for the comments.

Pete

• Like 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hi Pete,

Who do repairs, can you post a link?

Neither my speedo nor the Rev counter work, I had seen replacement 90 degree drives at SJ but didn't buy one because I had a lot of other tasks on my restoration "to do" list, so it seems I've missed my chance there. 

Hi Bill,

Bit late getting back to you but the company that said they could repair the drive is called Speedycables.

I haven't gotten around to sending my old one in yet so can't be certain they can do it.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009