Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Heater stopped working - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Heater stopped working

What have I done? Been messing about with the dash panels. Now reassembled dash and the heater will not switch from cold air vents to hot/demist. The lever moves the switch on the outside of the heater unit in the footwell and I can hear the air vent opening. I've checked the vacuum pipes and all are connected. Can someone explain the wizardry that makes the heater mechanism work? It's cold today!

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Are you absolutely sure a vac pipe has not pulled out which you have missed? Thats the usual cause.

There are several:

Pipe from reservoir on top of RH tank to a T piece.

T piece to both sections of the cam-operated valve on heater.

From one of the valves to the actuator inside front bonnet plenum (so you need to check inside the plenum)

From other valve to actuator on LHS of heater.

Thanks Andy. On the S2 the reservoir is at the back of the car and it turns out that one pipe from the T piece at that end had come loose. Now all fixed but so bizarre that the fault was at the opposite end of the car to where I had been tinkering!

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• 3 years later...
On 27/04/2016 at 14:36, Andyww said:

Are you absolutely sure a vac pipe has not pulled out which you have missed? Thats the usual cause.

There are several:

Pipe from reservoir on top of RH tank to a T piece.

T piece to both sections of the cam-operated valve on heater.

From one of the valves to the actuator inside front bonnet plenum (so you need to check inside the plenum)

From other valve to actuator on LHS of heater.

Hi Andy

my vacuum was taken apart but another party and I am trying to put it all back together as no heater in this weather is no much fun. I can't find where the pipe from the reservoir on top of the RH tank comes out inside the cockpit. i am guessing it runs along the top of the backbone inside the chassis with the throttle cable, speedo drive, oil pressure line and turbo pressure line, does that make sense? However I can't find the end of it, any clues?

ta

Christian 

2 minutes ago, Andyww said:

It goes to a T-Piece near the heater.

I have the T-Piece, just can't find the hose it plugs onto. However I have been looking on the top of the tunnel whereas from what you say I think it comes out high up above were the radio would live. I'll have a look tomorrow, thanks for the help.

cheers

Christian 

• 5 months later...