Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Team Phoenix Esprit - 358cid conversion - Page 4 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Team Phoenix Esprit - 358cid conversion

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
ok - first picture shows it's a tight fit - length is pretty close and and it's wide. On the plus side the G50 trans is way lighter and shorter than the UN1 with less overhand aft of the shafts.

[

Hmmm.To your info the UN1 is 53kg and the G50 is 72kg.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/attachment.php?...mp;d=1184940958

And its good to see that you going forward in your prodsject.

I hope you have the driving skills for this..I gess you have 550-600bhp with masive torque and hopefully you end up below 1100kg.Its gona be a dam fast track car when you get the it tuned.

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

Very fast road and trackday car.

GT3076R+ a lot of other modifications.

http://lotusespritwo...inZzdningz.html

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if they are all the same weight Robin.. all I know is the G50--50 going on is way lighter than the UN1 that came off.. it's a race prepd trans with G50-50 long nose casing so should be heavier.. odd.. I used the exact meaurement of a back strainometer.. but everyone agreed who handled both boxes..

it's basically a sportsman cup engine so the torque band has been moved up for better traction.. makes it quite cammy from the start but means I'll get a good jump on the Ultimas off the turns as they try to contend with 550+lbft while I make full use of 380lbft and a fast spooling engine. I could run a 500-550 cam whcih would give me 550lbft but it wouldn't be any faster on track.. going forward there's a lot of porting but will see how temps fare and she runs on 105 before doing that and getting used the delivery as is. 9000rpm cam then gives me options goping into turns tho will prb pull that back to 8300rpm to save on engine/trans and especially clutch wear.a 9000rpm cam puts a lot of emphasis on the driver to time the downshift somewhat..

I have my NatB license and tracked since 1999 but not been out lately and will be getting more instruction when I get the car on the black stuff. The best bit is the weight that's come out of the body and the full ground effects going in.. target is a metric ton but would accept 1100kgs. Aim is to use it for racing eventually so the bar has been deliberately set high.

Edited by M Blur

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

Good to see you are still cracking on with her Jon, keep the updates and a few pics coming

im interested very interested to see how this ends up, especially the rear wheel width! :thumbsup:

keep up the work

regards danny :cheers:

A

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress being made.. :thumbsup: engine in and sitting well, trans in and ready for shafts, new firewal, tailgate modification nderway, rear ights underway, shifter in and working..all go.

1statemptwithwaterpump.jpg

SL270104.jpg

topviewfortank2.jpg

SL270115.jpg

30082007272.jpg

SL270109.jpg

SL270108.jpg

SL270107.jpg

BECKETT-PROFILE-752143.jpg

Good to see you are still cracking on with her Jon, keep the updates and a few pics coming

im interested very interested to see how this ends up, especially the rear wheel width! :thumbsup:

keep up the work

regards danny :whistle:

I so need a pair of scruffy futuras for the rear.. 10js just aint enough.. final target is 13Js and can then run porsche supercup and britgt boots.. work in progress..

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

Good work Jon,

It looks like some considrable work has been done on the gearbox linkage

firewall and i take it your doing a rear mesh clamshell :thumbsup:

Keep the pics coming cant wait to see this baby in the flesh :thumbsup:

regards danny

A

• 2 weeks later...

some more detail shots before the big stuff starts to happen.. :rofl:

MVS managed to find yet another 24kgs out of the doors... :) I Reckon the car saves nigh on 100-200kgs in body weight alone from a stock SE.. still aiming for 1000kgs despite Chevy and additional aero and ancillaries..

killswitchcover.jpg

Fuelfill.jpg

aerocatch.jpg

still need to find a pair of big S4S rears for much cheapness.. :)

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

MVS have started splicing in the front headlpamps.. thankfully I don't think it's going to look too Lambo-like after all.. headlmpas look smaller, very low profile and quite curved.. I'm sure the crazy angles will come together nicely..

:angry:

together with the re-designed front-end it should look very imsa/LM-like.. :angry:

frontviewofheadlight.jpg

firstheadlightinstall.jpg

Jst wait till the big carbon starts rolling off... :blush:

Jon

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

Very nice jon,

some good progress been made, cant wait to see how your front ends up

looking with those lights, the carbon fuel tank surround looks very smart too :angry:

Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming :blush:

regards danny

A

I'll pass on your respects to MVS... I only input into design and procurement.. tho it follows my vision.. the carbon you've seen is the tip of a very big iceberg.. :)

Edited by M Blur

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

Quick / silly question...

What are the vents in the bonnet for ?

I assume you've got some kind of heat exchanger in there or flowing a rad through the front luggage bay.

They're on the LeMans car as well but never been sure of what they are there for !

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

yep Jonathan - 2 fold - firstly John had a rad in there and oil cooler with cowling and a lot of airflow.

2nd if you open up the front cover and modify the front aero you can get a decent aero effect up and through that cover.. this is primarily the reason you see a similar vent nearer the fornt of Mitsi evo.. it serves a dual purpose. The basic priciple of the aero is to shallow the rake of the angle of attach of the frontal aeraq but allowing more to flow through the front and up over the screen as if the cover was open and the front end was more like a Macca M6 to name one example.. i.e. a much lower front end and pronounced arches. Since then GTs have looked to divert more of that airflow under the floorplan or around the side sills to reduce drag. However I'll get more downforce pushing it up and over, slowing the flow while hopefully the fornt diffuser, sills and ubndertray will speed the flow underside.

I think MVS plan to put another heat exchanger back in there but hoping they go a lot further with the aero at the front that before. Main thing is the intake and smoothing the angle which is already pretty good (if a bit angular) to direct up and then over the front screen.

I'm sure this is what we should be discussing in the aerodynamic thread :thumbsup:

Hope the LM rep coming along - best rgds Jon

Edited by M Blur

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

Hey John,

Fully understand the desire to maximise flow and downforce by having the air exit upwards, but what are MVS planning to do to ensure that the cool air intake is not

Edited by mike_sekinger

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Interesting - I have to cut my lid for the replica affect but I dont think I will be taking it that far (I want SOME luggage space hehe).

Coming along, slowly, been so busy irl (working on it today for the 1st time in about 2 months).

Keep up the good work - cant wait to see it finished !

and she's going to be road legal - hence the lights etc.

SUPERB - can't wait to see this !

Are you ducting the air into the engine like they did on the le-mans cars ? Ie through naca ducts in the roof ?

SUPERB - can't wait to see this !

Are you ducting the air into the engine like they did on the le-mans cars ? Ie through naca ducts in the roof ?

H J - well.. that was used for a cooler and really not well set up for an easy ram intake.. we're going more for a carbon f1 roof intake - think NSX SuperGT :)

however there may be naca ducts tho we're going a lot more aggressive than any previous works cars.. :D quite fancy adding some LM style rear arch intakes also.. rear arches should be boxed out, vented and open at the rear - LM style - in fact whole rear will be vented - not sure how yet - whether like a 288 GTO-evo or more like a Mosler or LM car.. I lots of black mesh. :)

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

• 2 weeks later...

work on front end coming on gradually - lights a sort of cross of Lambo and 90s Camaro.. odd but I like them. They could tint nicely in amber for the LM lok and retain side profiel of car and look relatively low drag - in fact front end should smooth out nicely..

Lights30082007272.jpg

I've seen the initial mould for the rear hatch - think G car but too early to shwo you guys.. :innocent:

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

Very nice jon,

they look they have done a good job :innocent: still need to see a full veiw

of the car though to get the full picture! get your camera going jon!

Looking forward to seeing the tailgate finished aswell!

regards danny :P keep up the great progress

A

• Gold FFM

John, is the angle of beam so limitet that it was not possible to move the light forwarth ? This additional step looks a bit wired !? And every step disturbes the "straight laminar" airflow !?

But to convert to such lighs is definitly a step forwart in Esprit development. I'm angry every time asi'm on a fast trip at night (dancing headlights on the Autobahn...)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..