Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
wont start -plugs dry - Fuel System/Carbs - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

wont start -plugs dry

MartinC

chaps

trouble with starting.  the fuel pump clicks and then stops but no signs of firing.  pulled a plug and it was dry.  I have replaced the fuel filter but what should I do next?  can I disconnect the fuel supply to the carbs and turn it over and see if fuel come out or should I be more scientific about it!

regards

martih

• Gold FFM

Yes u could do that but keep a rag handy to catch the fuel, you dont want an errant spark. Have someone switch the ignition of for you while you check the hose end, dont be tempted to switch it on to activate the pump then find out you cant stop the fuel flow. Remember, you might have some residual pressure in the line when you disconnect. Have you checked for spark at the plugs.

clicks repeatedly, or clicks once?

Whip the top of a carb off with a screwdriver and see if there is anything in the bowl. Move the floats up and down to ensure they arw buoyant and free to move. Do not be temnpted to bend or adjust them by eye as float height is critical.

If they are dry you have a pump problem or a blockage.

John dunce

Thanks for quick replies.  I will take the tops off the crabs and check for sparks - not at the same time!!  . The pumps clicks a few times then stops on the first try but does not click on subsequent tries.

Thanks

Martin

Hmmm... Sounds like it is pumping then. It won't click once the carb bowl is full as the float valve in the carb wont allow any more to go in (rather like a toilet cistern).

I'd have thought the pump was the most likely culprit, but perhaps not. Whip off the top of a carb to see if there is fuel. on an N/A this is a 30 second job.

Has the car been off the road for a while? If so, check to see if there are little gauze filters in the entrance to the dellorto's and that they are clean.

on my brothers S2 the pumps click fast then slow down but never stop entirely. Same on my 7 from years ago.

C43

Chaps.

Thanks for the help.  the problem was the flow valve not being powered up and preventing flow to the carbs.  the valve is Ok but the power supply to it is duff.  do not know where the supply to the valve connects to the loom but got the car started by connecting the valve directly to the battery.

Martin

• Like 1

Nice diagnosis!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein