Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Buying an exige - hopefully - Page 2 - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Buying an exige - hopefully

vw tt

The e92 definitely needs to be on my list then, sounds like my kind of car. 

The GTR I have a real soft spot for I'll be honest. It's that whole Japanese tuner car thing which really appeals to me for some reason. But it's so expensive to own and modify, and on a test drive I found I just couldn't even start to open it up as it was bonkers fast and it didn't feel exciting at slower speeds. So day to day I think it could be frustrating. Amazing car though! 

Roll on monday and some sunny weather to see what the exige can do ! 

The E92 M3 is not particulary cheap though, well they are not bad to buy, but try and get one with BMW warranty if by a mad reason you do decide to go that route. Common things are throttle actuators (£800 each) and the earlier cars (2007-2010) have had some issues with bearings, so that can be very expensive. But ultimately a great engine!

Modding them is not cheap either! Exhaust can be 5k, decent suspension 4k, seats, wheels etc etc :stuart: oh and brakes! 

This is what made me get something lighter! £600 on pads (RS29) and last 4-5 track days, £1100 on tyres (cup 2) and again 4-6 track days! But a very reliable car. 

• Like 1

I also tried a Cayman S, 997S and Evora before gettting an Exige. By far the best drivers car and the most special.

Had an e90 M3 for a while a few years ago and never really bonded with it - crushingly competatnt but  not special enough for a weekend toy and not practical enough as a daily. 

Fiesta ST + Exige S seems a good mix. Good luck and enjoy the process of finding the right car(s) for you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chrisc said:

The E92 M3 is not particulary cheap though, well they are not bad to buy, but try and get one with BMW warranty if by a mad reason you do decide to go that route. Common things are throttle actuators (£800 each) and the earlier cars (2007-2010) have had some issues with bearings, so that can be very expensive. But ultimately a great engine!

Modding them is not cheap either! Exhaust can be 5k, decent suspension 4k, seats, wheels etc etc :stuart: oh and brakes! 

This is what made me get something lighter! £600 on pads (RS29) and last 4-5 track days, £1100 on tyres (cup 2) and again 4-6 track days! But a very reliable car. 

Hmm good points there. It's difficult when researching cars as finding out how much it costs to buy is simple, but those hidden running costs are difficult to find out about. So thanks for the info it really helps. 

Certainly the the more I read and the more advice I'm getting the more I feel the exige might tick so many boxes for me. 

2 hours ago, swanny71 said:

I also tried a Cayman S, 997S and Evora before gettting an Exige. By far the best drivers car and the most special.

Had an e90 M3 for a while a few years ago and never really bonded with it - crushingly competatnt but  not special enough for a weekend toy and not practical enough as a daily. 

Fiesta ST + Exige S seems a good mix. Good luck and enjoy the process of finding the right car(s) for you.

Well it's all about the driving for me now. I agree the ST+exige might be perfect for me. Fingers crossed.  

Had a GTR for a year, spent way too much money on shiny bits (alloys, carbon, aero), performance upgrades (engine and suspension), servicing, and consumables (tyres and brakes). I can't express how much of a money pit it was... It would have genuinely been more cost effective to have bought a lambo!

Don't be fooled by the purchase price, its the ongoing prices that kill you.

To your point on day to day excitement, once you've got over the novelty of the speed and gut clenching acceleration, scared the sh*t out of your friends, work colleagues, and misses... You'll be sat in traffic one day and realise this is the most boring car i've ever owned.

• Like 1

www.alias23.com

I did look at the M4, nice daily car, but as I started to get hooked on track days felt it could have been in the realms of the GTR in terms of cost to run (consumables and upgrades required etc..) 

www.alias23.com

1 hour ago, alias23 said:

Had a GTR for a year, spent way too much money on shiny bits (alloys, carbon, aero), performance upgrades (engine and suspension), servicing, and consumables (tyres and brakes). I can't express how much of a money pit it was... It would have genuinely been more cost effective to have bought a lambo!

Don't be fooled by the purchase price, its the ongoing prices that kill you.

To your point on day to day excitement, once you've got over the novelty of the speed and gut clenching acceleration, scared the sh*t out of your friends, work colleagues, and misses... You'll be sat in traffic one day and realise this is the most boring car i've ever owned.

Good GTR review and pretty much what worries me. Cost and more of a novelty. 

Can't speak to the situation across the pond, but the TT RS can be had for a reasonable price here in the USA and is definitely trackable.  For relatively short money (at least compared to a normally aspirated car), the power and torque can be raised to around 540hp/500 lb ft of torque in a car that only weights 3300 lbs.  There are really an amazing number of mods available for this car given its production numbers

The TT RS is the only Audi i have owned and liked. However the one thing i could not get used to was the power delivery. It seems VAG turbo units that use the K04 just are so unresponsive. I know decat and various other mods help, but ultimately it was not what i wanted. Plus it understeered like mad on original geo settings.

Still a light car, and a brilliant 5 cyl engine though. If they can sort the response out, i would consider one. Though for the new RS they dont seem to have used a newer engine. As the 2litre supercharged and turbo unit is not too bad. Plus 4wd system was a bit strange, still felt like a FWD car to drive. Cant comment much, as only had it a few months.

Yes the TTRS is a good shout and super tuneable, but I wasn't blown away by the stock TTRS I drove a year or two ago. It was good but not great. Maybe I'll have another look though. 

I have a Stage 1 ecu upgrade which improves the power delivery.  Can't speak to the turbo upgrades as I have yet to drive a TT RS so equipped.  The new TT RS uses the same 5 cylinder engine but with an aluminum block to reduce weight.  The TT-RS is nose heavy so that should help.  The TT is a FWD platform and the RS can send about 30% of its power to the rear wheels (with mods, this can be increased to 50%).  A very good car and often over-looked.  If you keep the back seat down, the car is surprisingly practical as well..  My choice is between keeping my TT and modding the hell out of it or getting an Evora 400.  

54 minutes ago, vw tt said:

Yes the TTRS is a good shout and super tuneable, but I wasn't blown away by the stock TTRS I drove a year or two ago. It was good but not great. Maybe I'll have another look though. 

Oh, come on, is it really? It's still basically an understeery golf gti in drag. Nice, civilised, lovely cabin, well pit together. Zzzzzz. Nice - It's about the worst thing you can say about a sports car. Fine for the everyday,  but not what I want in a sportscar at all.

Mark I'm in Warrington (Burtonwood) and have a one year old Exige S - if you wanted to have a good look round it, quick spin and chat about ownership?

I love it, great driving experience. I'm niggled by silly quality things like the annoying rocking driving seat - all the elise platform cars have this.

Enjoy your test drive on Monday, I'm sure you will be impressed.

I drove a 911 Carrera 4 and Cayman S last year, but not as involving drive as in Exige.

• Like 1

That's just fine

9 hours ago, Gashead1105 said:

Oh, come on, is it really? It's still basically an understeery golf gti in drag. Nice, civilised, lovely cabin, well pit together. Zzzzzz. Nice - It's about the worst thing you can say about a sports car. Fine for the everyday,  but not what I want in a sportscar at all.

Haha well ok fair enough, it's a different thing altogether than an exige. I imagine no where near the same experience. But a nice car still. 

9 hours ago, stratosboy said:

Mark I'm in Warrington (Burtonwood) and have a one year old Exige S - if you wanted to have a good look round it, quick spin and chat about ownership?

I love it, great driving experience. I'm niggled by silly quality things like the annoying rocking driving seat - all the elise platform cars have this.

Enjoy your test drive on Monday, I'm sure you will be impressed.

I drove a 911 Carrera 4 and Cayman S last year, but not as involving drive as in Exige.

Oh wow, thanks that's very good of you. I'll get the test drive done and I'll be in touch. Nothing like real feedback from an owner. Thanks very much.