Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Hardy Spicer - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Hardy Spicer

Hi

Just got new HS163 universal joints for my 1978 Eclat but I cant get them into the joint because they are much beefier than the ones I've taken out. have I ordered the wrong ones ? if so what is the part number

regards Paul

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

We have had issues before with a bulk order of  8 joints being split between me and a friend. They fitted my shafts okay (S2), but Simon's mechanic claimed they didn't fit his S1 shafts? A knowledgeable friend recently told me that there is a difference between earlier and later shafts. (I have a few shafts sitting around the workshop that I've picked up from breakers etc and some are more spindly looking than the others!) It may be that the yokes on the beefier shafts offer more room?

HS 163 are the correct joint, but they are hard to get genuine OEM joints, so your supplier has probably provided an equivalent, and our experience seemed to be that they may or may not fit.

The baileymorris catalogue is quite helpful as it gives you the span across the measurement of all the joints. I am in the office and don't have access to the part number of the ones I used (which the bailey-M chap said were his highest spec joints in this size) I can recall they came from EDS (european driveshaft services) and they had a thrust washer in each cup.

http://www.baileymorris.co.uk/catalogue.php

Dunc

• Like 1

I do know these fit an Elite (76)

Spicer  5-1310X

There are a few threads about this around.

Clive

Also, this has a list of known equivalents for many parts

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Dl6NNMkE13QQGbQfun8DgEumyGQh358etpCn9v88Xo0/edit?usp=sharing

It is a sticky post in main Eclat/Elite forum

12 hours ago, Dunc said:

We have had issues before with a bulk order of  8 joints being split between me and a friend. They fitted my shafts okay (S2), but Simon's mechanic claimed they didn't fit his S1 shafts? A knowledgeable friend recently told me that there is a difference between earlier and later shafts. (I have a few shafts sitting around the workshop that I've picked up from breakers etc and some are more spindly looking than the others!) It may be that the yokes on the beefier shafts offer more room?

HS 163 are the correct joint, but they are hard to get genuine OEM joints, so your supplier has probably provided an equivalent, and our experience seemed to be that they may or may not fit.

The baileymorris catalogue is quite helpful as it gives you the span across the measurement of all the joints. I am in the office and don't have access to the part number of the ones I used (which the bailey-M chap said were his highest spec joints in this size) I can recall they came from EDS (european driveshaft services) and they had a thrust washer in each cup.

http://www.baileymorris.co.uk/catalogue.php

Dunc

Thanks for your reply Dunc a very handy catalouge

regards Paul

12 hours ago, Clive59 said:

I do know these fit an Elite (76)

Spicer  5-1310X

There are a few threads about this around.

Clive

Also, this has a list of known equivalents for many parts

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Dl6NNMkE13QQGbQfun8DgEumyGQh358etpCn9v88Xo0/edit?usp=sharing

It is a sticky post in main Eclat/Elite forum

Thanks for your reply Clive

regards Paul