Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Turbo jackets - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Turbo jackets

Just a quick one.

Do these turbo/exhaust wrap products work or can they damage the turbo by not allowing the heat to escape. I was debating fitting this stuff after the turbon on the downpipe and had thought of doing the turbo. However would tthe trapped heat exit out of the exhaust or into the inlet side and would they cause the oil/water in the turbo to become much hotter than they should??

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick one.

Do these turbo/exhaust wrap products work or can they damage the turbo by not allowing the heat to escape. I was debating fitting this stuff after the turbon on the downpipe and had thought of doing the turbo. However would tthe trapped heat exit out of the exhaust or into the inlet side and would they cause the oil/water in the turbo to become much hotter than they should??

Cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wait this one out for a reply Alan :D

Someone was talking about wrapping the manifold on their turbo

on one of our forums, and i'm sure there was some reason why

it was a bad idea. cannot remember why!

Is it cause it's cast? Dunno ;)

I was gonna give the manifold a miss due to the problems with the cracking. If it ever went then I might consider coating a new one but am gonna leave this area well alone.

What do you think about the turbo though??

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

These exhaust wraps helps the area outside of pipe to be much cooler. I have used on my racecars (non turbo) these products and they really work, air on the engine area is much colder when you use these wraps.

My Esprit has wrap on exhaust pipe beside the tyre, it was there when I bought the car. My friend has a racecar with a turbo and he has used these wraps on exhaust pipe. I have no experience those wraps on turbo, have seen them.

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+

cheers Jussi,

I am definately going to do the pipe from the turbo past the wheel to the silencer. Just the debate about the turbo itself now.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

I have been considering doing this as well. I will probably wrap the pipe from the turbo to the muffler as well. More than likely I won't wrap the turbo itself, but instead make a noce heat shield to keep the heat directed out of the engine compartment. I will probably use carbon fiber and some heat shielding material.

Edited by Techspy

John
94 S4