Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Anti Roll bar to Lower link. - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Anti Roll bar to Lower link.

I have been absent from this group due to the car behaving itself, but today a bit of a disaster.

The anti roll bar to lower link has separated and the front nearside wheel has moved back some 30 mm and I cannot turn the wheel as the tyre scuffs the body badly.

I have taken the wheel off and and I have the S3 parts manual (page 172) which shows the bushes, 23 24 and 25  but it does not show what is to the rear of the lower link to hold the a.r.b. in place.

I know it should be held in with an M12 nyloc nut, which is missing, but what fills the hole at the rear.

I am also having great difficulty working on the car without a hoist.

Can anyone offer assistance?

ARB.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have the earlier set up but I think the rear hole is just a hole. Maybe for access to the nylon nut.  I'm someone will be on here to confirm this or say Phil, your talking crap... But I don't think so.  Maybe someone will send a picture

If you look at the part labelled 25 it is a long bush that goes inside, so I feel that the nyloc should be on the outside of the back section of the U channel.

I know I should look at the otherside, but it is so difficult to get bothe wheels off at once.

Perhaps you are right as it would mean a second bush at the rear and it could compress the U channel when tightening.

Edited by Roger 912
second thoughts.

Right. I have just had a look at the otherside and you are correct in as much as the nyloc nut is inside the lower link U channel.

The one on the driver's side I see it is also dodgy as the nut is not tightened up to the nyloc section and I guess that is what happened to the passenger side nut, just worked its way loose and fell off.

I shall be having words with my mechanic as he worked on the ARB, fitting new bushed to the chassis and obviously removed the lower ling attachements at the time.

Oh well, it could have been worse.

2 hours ago, PhilW said:

I have the earlier set up but I think the rear hole is just a hole. Maybe for access to the nylon nut.  I'm someone will be on here to confirm this or say Phil, your talking crap... But I don't think so.  Maybe someone will send a picture

I've replaced these bushes on my 82 turbo myself and found it very easy to just disconnect the swinging arm only two bolts arm and fold the whole assembly  down so the disc is out of the way then you can gain access.the hole you see is not big enough for the socket a bit pointless really?the bushes from memory clamp either side of the  arm.my termination of part description is wrong I'm sure but this job is easy if you do it that way I found.

• Like 1

What do you actually have, the earlier or later?

If earlier the nut large hole is simply for socket access to the nut although not all makes of socket will fit through it. There is a discrepancy though, as the torque figure for that nut in the manual is only something like 8 lb ft. That is ridiculous as that is not really enough to overcome the friction of the nylon part of the nut (which must be a new one of course). I think the factory mean that you should nip the nut up to the bushes and compress them slightly but even that seems risky, relying on the nylon ring to secure the whole suspension and that joint is rotating.

What I have always done is ignore the manual figure and wind the nut right up to the shoulder on the arb and then tighten it hard. Never had any problems.

I took the car in to my mechy this morning and all sorted. The new nuts are up tight into the nylon lock bit.

So nice to get the car back running for the Christmas Holidays.

• Like 2