Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Starter Motor Wiring - help needed - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Starter Motor Wiring - help needed

Hi all,

i bought a Powerlite gear reduction starter some time ago, as recommended on here, thought it was about time I fitted it.

However, I've discovered that the original starter has an extra terminal (looks like the thread of a bolt) which has a wire in a rubber cup that simply pushes on. On the original starter, it says IGN next to it.

Any ideas on what I should do with the wire now, how should I connect it?

Ive turned the engine over without the wire connected, the starter seems to run fine. The engine doesn't fire up, so I'm wondering whether there is a spark. I've not checked yet, will investigate that, but just wondered if anyone knows the answer anyway!

pics show wire attached and wire unplugged on the original starter. I've just checked and new starter is identical to the high torque one available from SJ's.

IMG_3244.JPG

IMG_3245.JPG

Edited by RedEspritS2

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That'll be to short the resistor feed to your six volt coil in order to supply it with 12 volts while cranking. The idea is to provide an extra big fat spark while cranking to facilitate better starting. :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

3 minutes ago, jonwat said:

That'll be to short the resistor feed to your six volt coil in order to supply it with 12 volts while cranking. The idea is to provide an extra big fat spark while cranking to facilitate better starting. :thumbup:

I did read in the leaflet that came with the starter that some cars will have an extra wife for cold starting  - says it's usually not needed but can be connected with a large diode! Not sure best way of going about that :-(

Thought the coil is 12v, but will now double check. The leaflet also suggests the extra wire is found mainly on cars with 12v coils.

2 hours ago, RedEspritS2 said:

some cars will have an extra wife for cold starting  

An extra wife?

One is more than enough thanks although someone to go out and start the car on winter mornings would be useful :)

I also ran into this issue, but if the car doesnt start at all it might be miswired as it should start without this wire connected in temps we currently have. I did fit a diode though in the end.

1 hour ago, Andyww said:

An extra wife?

One is more than enough thanks although someone to go out and start the car on winter mornings would be useful :)

I also ran into this issue, but if the car doesnt start at all it might be miswired as it should start without this wire connected in temps we currently have. I did fit a diode though in the end.

Hi Andy - that's just what I wanted to hear. Any chance you can give me details of how you later wired (not wifed) it through a diode? 

Although I could probably work it out in the long run, I'd rather follow in someone else's footsteps as I don't want to be playing with electrics - not an area for tge "trial and error" approach!

Am I correct in assuming that the direction the diode should allow, is from the starter to the coil?

with the diode inline, is this wire now attached along with all the other main connections on the starter?

Edited by RedEspritS2

You could use this:  https://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?pCode=081.291

But I made something up as I had some diodes already. The diode could be something like a 1N5404

The "line" end of the diode connects to the spade connector where the "spare" wire connects to. Other end connects to the solenoid-motor connection.

1 hour ago, Andyww said:

You could use this:  https://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?pCode=081.291

But I made something up as I had some diodes already. The diode could be something like a 1N5404

The "line" end of the diode connects to the spade connector where the "spare" wire connects to. Other end connects to the solenoid-motor connection.

Andy, that link is brilliant - very grateful. ?

On 30/03/2017 at 17:01, Andyww said:

An extra wife?

Hi Andy - that's just what I wanted to hear. Any chance you can give me details of how you later wired (not wifed) it through a diode? 

Although I could probably work it out in the long run, I'd rather follow in someone else's footsteps as I don't want to be playing with electrics - not an area for tge "trial and error" approach!

IMG_3262.PNG

Bought the wire as suggested and found these instructions - now starts like a dream.?

• 3 months later...

I have also bought the powerlite until and I do have a question about the wiring. On my old starter there is a 3rd wire attached on a separate pin that ends at the plus of the coil. Should I connect this to the main plus of the starter (together with the cable from battery plus) using a diode? Please see the pictures attached. Thank you.

Starter on car.jpg

connection diagram.jpg