Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Exige Cup 380 - Page 2 - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Exige Cup 380

TLF News

I could get by on noisy days personally, providing they continue to offer them of course.

Bedford is out, I can live without that as I never go there but Goodwood would be a shame as I have enjoyed quite a few days there in my current Cup car.

As long as I'm able to lap Silverstone, Brands Hatch, Donington Park, Spa and the Nurburgring I could just about survive!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vd9 said:

Those may be no cost options. ;-) Nobody seems to be bothered that it is not welcome to pretty much all the track days in the UK, which makes it fancy, but a bit useless... :-(

Agreed... a pity.....for a British car maker...to manufacture road legal race cars, not allowed on most British race tracks.... Beuuuuuhhhh...

18 minutes ago, NedaSay said:

The gearing will make sure it cannot happen, close ratios plus 6800 rpm max to protect the gearbox will make sure of that.

Lotus hasn't reached the very end of the chassis ability to cope with speed but some mechanical bits are being pushed to their very limits.    

This doesn't explain the Sport 380's very fast Hethel laptime of 1.26.5. It uses the same engine and gearbox.

The claim for the Cup 380 only 0.5 secs quicker is very modest for a car with extra aero and rear grip. Lets call it the same weight as the Sport 380 which would have set that Hethel lap time in the lightest possible spec - no aircon, no sound deadening and so on.

Given the reason for paying the extra for the Cup 380 is the extra track performance, 0.5 seconds a lap is not very convincing. When Jokke pulls up behind me in his Sport 380 I will need much more of an advantage in the car than that if I want to stay in front! With only 0.5 secs (maybe 1 sec at Spa) I will have no chance!

29 minutes ago, The Pits said:

The bit that troubles me is having to pay extra for stuff like the harness bar, harnesses, airbag delete, quick release steering wheel, fire extinguisher which were all standard last time.

Some options might be NO COST option, at least I hope so.... But Lotus should definitely offer on such car, RACE SPEC parts, such as baffled sump, triple-pass radiator, 6-point harnesses, Hans compatible seats, etc. Etc.... and as far as I'm concerned, they can drop the carbon fancy....unless it adds some real performance to the car......

9 minutes ago, vd9 said:

Sport 380 was stated to be >107db static, which, to the best of my knowledge, means no UK track days.

Nope, there are still unlimited noise trackdays although your choice of date is more restricted but I'd be confident of getting out on a 105db trackday. Failing that, there will be quieter exhausts available from B&C among others.

Well its confirmed it won't be coming to the Middle East. In North America, the Exige V6 is track only, so the 60 units will be for UK / mainland Europe & Far East then. Seems reasonable that they'll all get sold-up, based on the Cup 360 sold a similar number.

If the new generation cars are still 3+ years away (depending on company ownership changes) I wonder how many 'special editions' Lotus car keep making to keep the current range going ?

Edited by Cain-it

Centre wiper is cool, very GT racer, but I can imagine it might become annoying. Easily fixed I would hope.

19 minutes ago, The Pits said:

The rear wing with vertical stays looks great (the Sport 380's wing stays lean inwards). If it was a chargecooled Exige 410 Cup with torsen diff and TFT dash with data logging, plus proper Cup parts as standard I would be ordering straight away.

:thumbup:

It's exactly what I think and that I also wrote in another subjct (380 vs 360 CUP) ...

so: " and if it was a 410 PS weight with + / - 1100 KG ?

We wait, I know that ...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Pits said:

Of course the sensible thing is to never buy another new car again. Just buy used and modify. Actually, don't modify that's always money down the drain too.

However some crazy person has to buy the new cars and take the hit for all the sensible people, so really we should be encouraging it!

I really like the look of the 380 Cup. The rear wing with vertical stays looks great (the Sport 380's wing stays lean inwards). If it was a chargecooled Exige 410 Cup with torsen diff and TFT dash with data logging, plus proper Cup parts as standard I would be ordering straight away. I would also be prepared to pay more than £83k for it. That car would be a genuine game changer for a sub-£100k sports car. It might also be only a year away, who knows? The main issue is what it will cost when it gets here, it might only just be sub-£100k!

The main issue for me with the 380 Cup is what it costs right now. If only £83k was the most it could cost, not the starting price! With aircon, paint and a few options it's heading towards £90k. Maybe a 311 is a smarter buy now they have decided to stop making them?

It does look amazing though. More like it's got 3800bhp!

:thumbup:

Pretty much same here.....

MY IDEAL 380 CUP WOULD BE

380 Cup engine with adjustable traction control, etc... 

Body enhancements (rear wings, front louvers, larger wheel base, etc.)

Motorsport parts (triple-pass radiator, baffled sump, gearbox oil cooling, etc.)

Big brake kit with track pads and steel hoses, two-parts lightweight discs, etc.

LSD, lightweight flywheel, close ratio and racing clutch

Ohlins chassis with stab bars 

TFT with data logging and display

Roll cage, 6-point harnesses, carbon seats Hans compliant

Lithium battery, lightweight forged wheels, etc.)

No carpet, no a/c, no radio, .....or maybe a/c....

I'd drop the carbon parts unless they allow each individually to reduce weight by a minimum of 10 kgs / EACH.... 10k for 10 kgs is not really appealing to me.... 

For that I'll also pay something.......

But it is also possible to build it yourself, just wait for the next 2nd hand 380 with no options, or have a standard 380 and buy Lotus genuine motorsport parts...... I'll do the math for me

5 minutes ago, Neal H said:

I think it looks sensational :wub:

It would be a very tough call between this and an Evora 410 Sport!

Agreed. I was hoping the Lotus was going to help resolve this particular conundrum by offering the 380 Cup for less than the Evora Sport 410 but by charging more they have made it more difficult!

Evora offers a broader breadth of ability it's also a very exotic and desirable thing in its own right. Nicer on longer road trips, all road trips really. The chargecooled 410 engine is preferable, higher revving and easily tuneable. You certainly get more car for your £90k with an Evora. I also like the way it should surprise a few people on a track day, the Exige 380 Cup will be a target.

But then the Exige looks otherworldly, like a Lotus F40. It should be better amazing on track too which is really the only place you can enjoy a fast car to the full these days... they are also limiting production to 60 cars total versus 150 Evora Sport 410s per year...

:X

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Neal H said:

I think it looks sensational :wub:

It would be a very tough call between this and an Evora 410 Sport!

It looks fab, no denying it, but, personally I'd take a Sport 410 all day long. Or the Sport 440 which will clearly be appearing in due course!! 

5 minutes ago, alias23 said:

Surprised no ones mentioned it retaining those 80's wing mirrors ;)

Lotus should have been wise to have hooked up with @Ex Londoner that would have been a nice touch.

You've been on the playground

26 minutes ago, The Pits said:

Agreed. I was hoping the Lotus was going to help resolve this particular conundrum by offering the 380 Cup for less than the Evora Sport 410 but by charging more they have made it more difficult!

Evora offers a broader breadth of ability it's also a very exotic and desirable thing in its own right. Nicer on longer road trips, all road trips really. The chargecooled 410 engine is preferable, higher revving and easily tuneable. You certainly get more car for your £90k with an Evora. I also like the way it should surprise a few people on a track day, the Exige 380 Cup will be a target.

But then the Exige looks otherworldly, like a Lotus F40. It should be better amazing on track too which is really the only place you can enjoy a fast car to the full these days... they are also limiting production to 60 cars total versus 150 Evora Sport 410s per year...

:X

I'd love the water cooled engine but mind the extra 250 kgs...... I want 410 hp and water cooled.... add that to my ideal Cup car....