Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Previous 997 GT3 or Cayman GT4 owners? - Page 2 - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Previous 997 GT3 or Cayman GT4 owners?

Exige604

I have driven

993 rs

996 gt3 mk1

996 gt3 mk2 incl RS

997 gt3 mk1 incl RS

997 gt3 mk2 incl RS

AND

996 gt2

997 gt2

Of all these cars my favourite (on a ractrack (Nurburgring)) is 997 gt3 rs mk2 .

And as we all know that Porsche quality is a hoax and bullshit, the owner of that RS had to replace both enginge and gear box within a couple of thousand miles. And then should we not even talk about what happenend to the 991 engines....

They're nice when they're working though! 

Toyota V6 is fantastically reliable in my experience, I haven't heard of any failures. This is exactly what Lotus needed. As much as I would have loved an 8500rpm na screamer would not have helped Lotus if it wasn't durable. Just ask TVR. Lovely, bespoke, high-revving, race designed straight six with issues undid much of the success they achieved with that trusty old Buick V8.

As a Lotus and a Porsche enthusiast driver and owner , I'd be far more worried about what Alpine are likely to do to future Lotus sales than worrying about Porsche and constantly condemning them !

Interstingly my track day pal with the Exige V6 Automatic is now slower than the GT4 in a straight line, and it's all to do with the ambient weather conditions , now it's hot the straight line performance has flipped in my favor !

I can't comment on the lotus vs porsche debate, but regarding the GT3 vs GT4 debate, I personally found the GT3 (991) easier to drive, and safer.  I found that the GT3 was more forgiving at the limit of traction, and that you could catch oversteer when it came.  With the GT4, I found it to be very snappy at the limit, and once the rear went, I found it much more difficult to catch.  Of course this could just be my terrible driving!!

Well that's something you don't read every day!

3 hours ago, Cypriot said:

I can't comment on the lotus vs porsche debate, but regarding the GT3 vs GT4 debate, I personally found the GT3 (991) easier to drive, and safer.  I found that the GT3 was more forgiving at the limit of traction, and that you could catch oversteer when it came.  With the GT4, I found it to be very snappy at the limit, and once the rear went, I found it much more difficult to catch.  Of course this could just be my terrible driving!!

Mid engined cars always more snappy beyond the limit due to where the weight is 

Well imagine what happens when that weight is behind the rear axle! It ain't going to improve the handling! 

Is the 911 really easier to drive fast or does it just have higher limits?

Surely not even @Tim Raven would agree that the Cayman is more challenging to drive hard than a 911?

Only half the story, Jonny. With the engine way out the back, you end up with a car that is more unstable as it decelerates while turning, but it does have a larger moment of inertia than a mid engined car. This tends to make it slightly more catchable, so long as the driver is paying attention.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Wilbert Camshaft said:

AIM Smartycam HD, a HD camera with data-overlay, acceleration-sensor and CAN bus, and SoloDL, a GPS dash logger with ECU interface

image.png.d3140fe1ecab689870c14040398c9c63.pngimage.png.e86001f2b5cab1b684ce44b99003712a.png

http://www.me-mo-tec.com/en/Products/AIM/SmartyCam

Although I used a VBox HD2 for serious lap data and prodictive timing I've recently bought a Garmin VIRB 360 to play around with VR. It's full 360 4k real time rendering, it uses the built in GPS for all sorts of lap timing information and overlays plus it supports BT and ANT sensors for anything including ODB. Worth considering for a fraction of the price of the AIM stuff - all that's missing is a real time predictive display, which will cause you issues if you are caught with it on a track day anyway. Just food for thought.

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com