Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Multiple Cylinder Misfires - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Multiple Cylinder Misfires

So, I went to start my car after it being sat a few days, and on start up, I could instant tell something was not right.  The engine was running extremely rough, on idle it was almost stalling, and the sound was off.  Called the AA, who diagnosed that cylinders 1, 3 and 5 were misfiring, which means essentially one bank of the engine was not firing.  Car has been trucked to my dealer, who are waiting for Lotus to come back with a fix.

From looking on the forums, I couldn't find any similar occurances, so I thought I would get this on here in case the same happens to someone else.  I shall report back once I know more.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Hangar 111 said:

Presumably that was diagnosed from a fault code?   Was the misfire only for the first 30 seconds, or after, or both?

Dave

Yes, from fault codes. Misfire was from start, and didnt stop, even when I manoeuvred the car to give easy access for the AA truck.  

1 hour ago, domguy said:

Sounds like faulty coil pack 

This is what the AA guy said, but he couldnt touch the car as it is under warranty.  His words, not mine!

3 minutes ago, Cypriot said:

Yes, from fault codes. Misfire was from start, and didnt stop, even when I manoeuvred the car to give easy access for the AA truck.  

This is what the AA guy said, but he couldnt touch the car as it is under warranty.  His words, not mine!

O2 sensors would be my first port of call, though that usually throws a code to help.

The car is individual coil per cylinder, so very unlikely to be that.

Dave

5 minutes ago, Hangar 111 said:

O2 sensors would be my first port of call, though that usually throws a code to help.

The car is individual coil per cylinder, so very unlikely to be that.

Dave

Interesting.  o2 sensors did not throw up a fault code.  This is the full list of fault codes:

Global OBD II - 000 / Global OBD II Status :P0017 - Crankshaft Position (Bank1, Sensor B). Error Message : Correlation. Static faults. Status :P0300 - Random/multiple cylinders. Error Message : Misfire detected. Static faults. Status :P0301 - Cylinder 1. Error Message : Misfire detected. Static faults. Status :P0303 - Cylinder 3. Error Message : Misfire detected. Static faults. Status :P0305 - Cylinder 5. Error Message : Misfire detected. Static faults. Status :P1301 - Unknown fault. Error Message : . Static faults. Status :P1302 - Unknown fault. Error Message : . Static faults. Status :P0025 - Camshaft B timing (bank 2). Error Message : Too late. Sporadic faults.

I appreciate everyones comments.

I had very similar on my 400. I have a consistent starting from cold issue, the engine needs some throttle to stabilise revs.

I tried it at the weekend and didn't touch the throttle. It sounded terrible and through an engine light. I put my reader in and cleared the misfire codes.

Started up with usual throttle feathering and normal service resumed.

The car has been behaving like this since it's break in service. I'm currently arranging with Dave H111 to get the car looked at. I believe has had arranged a Lotus tech to come and have a look.

Ok, heard back from my dealer.  They cleared the codes, rechecked the engine, and the codes did not return.  Engine is apparently running fine now after a couple of road test.  I don't have my car back yet (other bits and bobs are being look at) so I will check it when it arrives.  Dealer said they think the fault codes were caused by a glitch in one of the vairable valve timing controllers. We shall see!