Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine hot, too hot, too cold, too confused, too P0116 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine hot, too hot, too cold, too confused, too P0116

Just logging this here for anyone that gets this one.

After 30 minutes steady driving I could hearthe cooling fans come in in the front - which only happens on the hottest days, never mind October in the North of England. Then the blue 'engine temperature is cold' light came on, then the engine malfunction light.  Car was driving perfectly ok.    Scanned the fault codes - "P0116 - Powertain - Engine coolant temperature circuit range/performance problem".

Dealer reckons intermittent sensor problem -- they tried cleaning the contacts but no joy.  new sensor on order. 

• 11 months later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I had this recently - twice on the same trip across Belgium.

2nd time I was on a motorway, so couldn't stop straight away and after a while it developed a hesitancy on throttle as though it were running mega rich.

There was never any sign of it running hot before the fans and blue temp light came on and it booted me out of cruise control.

I stopped and reset the codes and the car was fine straight away.

Did your sensor replacement fix things permanently?

• 4 years later...

I have this exact issue with my Exige 410. 

I've been back and forth at the dealer's and they suspected the temperature sensor but I had no codes.  So it was never replaced while the car was under warranty.  However, through the winter it seemed to be fine.  Only intermittently having the issue with the temperature going up and down and up and down.

Today, on Christmas Eve (summer here in Aus), as I was about to take the car on a long drive, I got a check engine light.  OBD2 shows P0116.  *sigh.

Seems difficult to get to too.  Lots of lines from the supercharger in the way, airbox in the way.  Mildly annoyed.    

• Confused 1