Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Steering Wheel Removal - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Steering Wheel Removal

I have been trying to remove the steering wheel and have had no success. Per the Lotus instructions if the wheel dose not come off easily then you need to use a "suitable wheel puller" Well I have no been able to find a wheel puller that works with the Trans Am airbag wheel. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

-Graham

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been trying to remove the steering wheel and have had no success. Per the Lotus instructions if the wheel dose not come off easily then you need to use a "suitable wheel puller" Well I have no been able to find a wheel puller that works with the Trans Am airbag wheel. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

-Graham

Universal wheel puller from any auto parts store should work. You'll need to pull off the airbag unit first, then unplug the airbag(preferably remove the SRS fuse if so equipped first). Then use the puller. They aren't always straight forward so you may need to sit and study it first.

Artie

Universal wheel puller from any auto parts store should work. You'll need to pull off the airbag unit first, then unplug the airbag(preferably remove the SRS fuse if so equipped first). Then use the puller. They aren't always straight forward so you may need to sit and study it first.

Artie

Check out LEW, there's a write up on the V8 wheels which I believe are the same as yours.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Finding a puller that will work is not as easy as it sounds as the 2 small holes either side of the center nut are not threaded IIRC. You might be able to tap them but I've never tried it.

I have removed several wheels and this has always worked for me so far. With your hands gripping the wheel at the 3 o

1995 S4s

Finding a puller that will work is not as easy as it sounds as the 2 small holes either side of the center nut are not threaded IIRC. You might be able to tap them but I've never tried it.

I have removed several wheels and this has always worked for me so far. With your hands gripping the wheel at the 3 o

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Very nice gentlemen! The pullers I have tried thus far are useless. One way or another this fugly GM wheel is coming off! :)

-Graham

Yeah, I think this is the way LEW described the procedure.

Has your wheel got ovoid holes? if so and getting physical hasn't worked, grind bolt heads into an oval shape. Insert, turn 90deg. and try the puller again. Worked for me in the past with some GM wheels.

DanR

Thanks to all for your advice! I used the rocking back and forth technique and she came right off. Now I need to figure out how to adapt it to fit a Momo wheel....

You can get a Nardi to Momo adapter from SJ sportscars. Check with JAE they may have them as well. Steer clear of the Lotus PBC one's I got roped into one for $300! OUch:(

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Thanks to all for your advice! I used the rocking back and forth technique and she came right off. Now I need to figure out how to adapt it to fit a Momo wheel....

Glad to hear it worked for you!

1995 S4s