Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New dizzy to replace Powerspark? - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

New dizzy to replace Powerspark?

smash

My car has had a powerspark dizzy fitted - I've noticed a bit of oil in the block webbing under the dizzy and having searched the forum I've discovered they don' have an internal oil seal so not suited to horizontal mounting (plus pesky vac capsule).

So I don't have an original to exchange - what' best to replace it and where to purchase? I've seen QED selling 45d for around 150

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Powerspark dizzy uses a set of springs supposed to suit a wide range of cars. I don't know the timing characteristics of their dizzy, but as your car should have a spec 5 engine (I think), there should be no vacuum capsule and, in addition to 9 degrees static timing, the advance mechanism adds up to16 degrees between starting at 1000 and finishing at 3000rpm.

It would be worth seeing if Lotusbits have a decent used distributor. If so, it should have the appropriate oil seal. All you'd need to do is fit the Powerspark module in place of the points (they are available separately if you can't re-use the one you have.)

If you can't find a used distributor in good enough condition, you could send an old one to someone like Distributor Doctor for refurbishment.

Good luck

Richard

Edited by rjwooll

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also say that what distributor you should have on your car according to the factory manuals might be different from what you do have/need. My distributor should have the vacuum advance according to the manuals, and does have one but is not connected to anything. And there's nowhere on the engine that it would connect to anyway. Timing checked at idle and at higher rpms and is where it all should be. Think someone else on here first questioned it but then found their distributor was in the same situation.

Did you get something sorted in the end? :)