Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Aston Martin DB9 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Aston Martin DB9

Hello all,

Well spring is in the air, and it's that time of the year when temptation starts to creep up on me. 

Over the years I've grown fond of luxo-barges and land yachts and realise what I cherish most about motoring is not raw performance, but refinement - I like the sun on my skin, the smell of petrol and leather in my nose and preferably good music going through the sound system, the latter of which may be subordinate to the engine note when I press the "loud pedal". And all that in something hand-build in Great Britain. I wouldn't have it any other way. 

What I don't have much patience for is exhaust drone, wind or road noise. These have no business occupying my cabin.

So naturally my eyes routinely wander to "the other British marques" Jaguar, and now most recently, Aston Martin.

After having owned an XKR, which I foolishly sold for a pittance because I didn't have the balls to accept the hole in my savings (I kick myself to this day) I've come to realise that one Esprit might be enough (the SE of course!), and that the other one perhaps could be traded for something a little more haute couture if you will...

So, gents - anyone here had any experience owning a DB9? 

I've been to dealerships and poked around a little bit, but DB9's are rare. There's a lot more V8 Vantages around. I'll be blunt. I don't like the Vantage. The proportions are kind of meh - it looks like a Lotus that has spent too much time in the gym, and it's nose is just too short. That and I've heard the early V8's were a bit of a slouch, and I don't think I'll tolerate a slow V8 after a Twin Turbo Esprit V8. That and ditching the Esprit for another V8 feels like sacrilege. Ergo, 12 cylinders. Because reasons. 

I've heard the DB9 is not too great on twisty roads (nor is the V8 Esprit if I'm to be honest with all that extra heft behind the seats) but honestly I can deal with that. As long as its comfortable on a road trip and has a great sound system. 

Part of what drives my thirst for change is the knowledge that DB9s are bottoming out, at least in the UK where they are ludicrously cheap. I have a hard time envisioning 12 cylinder AM's trading at sub £30k. Perhaps the V8 Esprit will continue to climb, perhaps it wont but I daresay it's as good a time as any to get into Aston ownership.  The only obstacle will be convincing my better half to relinquish the V8, which might take some doing.... 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Shown the other half some of the threads on here with engines smashed to bits - and then show her the repair bills of someone who’s honest enough to admit the true figure.

the AM V12 is a sublime motor - good choice 

Only here once

Oh I don't even have to show her forum threads. A friend of mine takes cares of a large portion of the Esprits in Sweden, and he has a handful of V8 rebuilds going on at any given time. That said, I rarely think about it. I worry more about leaving the Esprits outdoor, in parking lots, in the cold, in the rain etc... my priorities are certainly way off. 

But yes, the AM V12 is said to be understressed, has won several 24 hour races and is according to some sources rigorously tested by AM to last 150 000 miles. As such I think a well used (or "run in") DB9 might be the way to go. With a bit of luck I've gotten past my garage-queen phase. 

Edited by Vanya

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8