Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ebc Brake Pads For Esprit Gt3 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Ebc Brake Pads For Esprit Gt3

Hi ALL

I have to change the all brake pads of my LOTUS ESPRIT GT3 (year 1999)

My car have the BREMBO brake system, (perhaps other GT3 have other brake system)

However I'm interesting to know the exactly code of EBC GREENSTUFF and REDSTUFF so I can see if I can find it in Italy

I want change the pads because the original set do a very very bad whistle and this is not good expecially for a ESPRIT!!!!!!

About the models what you think?? Is bettere redstuff or greenstuff?? I not use the car in the track and however not use the brakes HARD.......please let me know

Regards from Italy

Alessandro

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can get you the code for Greenstuff, Redstuff (and yellowstuff if EBC make them). The surest way of getting the most accurate part number is to take the old pad off the car draw around it and then fax me with your drawing on 01376 509145 (mark your fax for the attention of 'Sonny'. I will be able to get you the part numbers within 24 hours.

The GREEN Stuff is what you want, good street use.

I am going to Ferodo Beral with my new AP brakes.

Rightnow I use BREMBO + GreenStuff and EBC TurboGroove disks.

THEY ARE HOT SPOTTED ALL OVER !

I just drive to slow :P

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg

as u are in italy, get some Mintex 1144/1155 or equivilent ones for a seat ibiza turbo/fiat turbo coupe, then the same compound for the rear from a renault laguna V6 or Elise. leave EBC alone.

Greenstuff - DP21140 (front) - DP2885 (rear)

Redstuff Ceramics - DP31140C (front) - DP3885C (rear)

Yellowstuff - DP41140R (front) - DP4885 (rear)

I've used Greens and Reds on my daily drive (Subaru). Both showed improvements over OEM. Redstuff definitely have the edge but aren't brilliant until warmed up, can also be noisy. Yellows are more suited to track use.

Have also tried Ferodo DS2500 (excellent) and am now using Pagid RS4-2-1 (superb), but not sure if either is available in Esprit fitment.

Edited by Tentenths

EBC no longer recommend Greenstuff for cars with more than 200bhp, although they seemed OK when I had them, but did tend to fade a bit. I assume they use engine power as a rough guide to how hard the car will be driven. If you don't drive that hard, Greenstuff should be OK, but I don't know whether insurance companies would see it that way if you had to make a claim.

I'm currently using Redstuff until I can afford to upgrade my rotors & calipers. They seem OK with no fading even on a long hard drive.

More speed, less haste

There is nothing special about the standard Brembo front and rear setup and also for the AP setup on the Esprit.

The front caliper is standard fitment on a few other cars, and the rear caliper is on the Elise so there are loads of online sources for them on Elise tuning sites.

There are loads of pad options and like a lot of things is a balance of a number of factors. There is no merit in the EBC stuff apart from cost which I know can be the deciding issue. But you alos must be aware that EBC pads are significantly thinner that most serious manufacturers and so they don't last very long in seripus applications.

The Pagid website is really good for general technical info <http://www.braketechnology.com/support.html>. The most important index the temperature dependence eof the coefficient of friction. You also need to balance that against disc wear and initial bite.

Porterfields can be fairly readily obtained from Larry in the US. Les Twigg did also import some to the UK for retail. Les is an Esprit owner his site is :

http://www.lotusperformance.co.uk/esprit.htm

In summary, serious options are Pagid,Ferodo, Mintex and Porterfield, Hawk (PNM/Dave uses them).

I run Pagid RS14 front and rear.

well to upset the apple cart as usual i used pug 406 coupe pads

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

There is nothing special about the standard Brembo front and rear setup and also for the AP setup on the Esprit.

The front caliper is standard fitment on a few other cars, and the rear caliper is on the Elise so there are loads of online sources for them on Elise tuning sites.

There are loads of pad options and like a lot of things is a balance of a number of factors. There is no merit in the EBC stuff apart from cost which I know can be the deciding issue. But you alos must be aware that EBC pads are significantly thinner that most serious manufacturers and so they don't last very long in seripus applications.

The Pagid website is really good for general technical info <http://www.braketechnology.com/support.html>. The most important index the temperature dependence eof the coefficient of friction. You also need to balance that against disc wear and initial bite.

Porterfields can be fairly readily obtained from Larry in the US. Les Twigg did also import some to the UK for retail. Les is an Esprit owner his site is :

http://www.lotusperformance.co.uk/esprit.htm

In summary, serious options are Pagid,Ferodo, Mintex and Porterfield, Hawk (PNM/Dave uses them).

I run Pagid RS14 front and rear.

I've got a Brembo setup with EBC turbogroove discs.

Best pads I've used in terms of stopping power are the Pagid RS 15s. But they're too good in that the heat they produce is more than the stock 296/300mm discs can handle when pushed hard (even with my DIY front brake ducts). After a few sessions around Brands GP they had burnt the Brembo logo off the front calipers, bubbled the paint on the alloys, melted the gaitors on the track rod ends and destroyed the discs (cracking and scoring).

So I've deliberately changed to a pad with a lower coefficent of friction. EBC yellowstuff seem the best compromise - plenty of bite from cold, stand up to track use and reasonable longevity. Also, they are a fair bit cheaper. They do come in the standard thickness for the Esprit. I think the problem is EBC supply different thicknesses for the same calipers. For example, the rear EBC pads for an Elise fit an Esprit because they use the same caliper but are thinner since the disc on the Elise is thicker. The Esprit yellowstuff part numbers are: DP41140-F (front soft compound), DP41140H-F (front hard compound, which I use) and DP4885 (rear soft compound, which I use).

But if your only problem is brake squeal then changing the pads may not be the answer. You might be missing some of the anti-squeal shims, or the existing pads may just need reapplying with copper slip. If the squeal is caused by pad deposits on the discs then changing the pad compound may help since it might scrub the old deposits off. Otherwise you'll need to change the discs as well.

Edited by neal

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.