Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ominous Coolant Pipe - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Ominous Coolant Pipe

Drfatz

Over the weekend I finally put the engine and trans back into the esprit! :P However, I noticed that the large coolant return line (the funky bent coolant hose on the US drivers side) is EXTREMELY close to the cam pulleys. Infact it actually rubs against them! This seems like a very stupid design considering the water inlet to the engine points directly at the cam pulley and is roughly 2 1/2 inches away! I should mention that I have new JAE silicon hoses to replace the rubber ones. I ended up having to cut down the large coolant hose inorder for it to even fit onto the engine. However, there is only about 1/16" clearence between the hose and the cam pulley. I am very affraid that if the car heats up and hits a bump the pulley is going to dig a nice big hole in my coolant hose! Has anyone else delt with this problem before? If so is there a solution to this other then cutting down the hose more and more? Which btw getting the hose off the car with the engine is is nearly impossible. :P

-Graham

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the weekend I finally put the engine and trans back into the esprit! :P However, I noticed that the large coolant return line (the funky bent coolant hose on the US drivers side) is EXTREMELY close to the cam pulleys. Infact it actually rubs against them! This seems like a very stupid design considering the water inlet to the engine points directly at the cam pulley and is roughly 2 1/2 inches away! I should mention that I have new JAE silicon hoses to replace the rubber ones. I ended up having to cut down the large coolant hose inorder for it to even fit onto the engine. However, there is only about 1/16" clearence between the hose and the cam pulley. I am very affraid that if the car heats up and hits a bump the pulley is going to dig a nice big hole in my coolant hose! Has anyone else delt with this problem before? If so is there a solution to this other then cutting down the hose more and more? Which btw getting the hose off the car with the engine is is nearly impossible. :P

-Graham

I think you're talking about the water pump outlet to the inlet manifold.. and yes, it's a nightmare to change. I literally have scars on the sides of my wrists from the last time I had to change it.

I have a silicone hose, but it was a straight piece so it kept pulling off the side when I tightened it up. In the end, I had to slash cut the end of the pipe so when it kinked, it pulled straight.

The other problem I had was the jubilee clip rubbing against the cam pulley, wearing some of it away! (very worrying)..

I just used a thinner stainless jubilee clip to resolve that issue.

It is a poor design though.

The pulley should only rub on the bit of the pipe AFTER where the jubilee clip is tightened, so no great worry if it does rub a bit of the excess away. Shouldn't cause any issues.

If you can upload a picture though, you may get some better advice.. I'm only going on your description.. you could actually be talking about the pipe going to the inlet of the water pump that runs across the top to the curved aluminium pipe.

Glyn, I think we are talking about the same pipe but I am not sure. When I get home tonight I will look up a parts picture and post it to clarify what I am talking about.

As for the prices the PO had put the kit on, one of the very few good things he did for the car, I only purchased the large bent coolant return line because I destroyed it when I pulled out the engine. That one pipe cost $80 US although it is the largest and most expensive pipe. I would expect the whole kit to cost a few hundred $ US which isn't much of a problem now a days for anyone on the other side of the pond with the terrible state of the dollar :P

I think you're talking about the water pump outlet to the inlet manifold.. and yes, it's a nightmare to change. I literally have scars on the sides of my wrists from the last time I had to change it.

I have a silicone hose, but it was a straight piece so it kept pulling off the side when I tightened it up. In the end, I had to slash cut the end of the pipe so when it kinked, it pulled straight.

The other problem I had was the jubilee clip rubbing against the cam pulley, wearing some of it away! (very worrying)..

I just used a thinner stainless jubilee clip to resolve that issue.

It is a poor design though.

The pulley should only rub on the bit of the pipe AFTER where the jubilee clip is tightened, so no great worry if it does rub a bit of the excess away. Shouldn't cause any issues.

If you can upload a picture though, you may get some better advice.. I'm only going on your description.. you could actually be talking about the pipe going to the inlet of the water pump that runs across the top to the curved aluminium pipe.

hoses.jpgGraham,

I believe you are referring to the water pump inlet hose that comes from the radiator back into the water pump, the big red one in the photo, correct?

The clearance is close there but it should be more than 1/16 inch. The silicone hose needs to be shortened a little more from the water pump end to pull the bend away from the pulley. Twisting the hose a little may help also.

I've done a couple of those JAE silicone hoses and that one is a b--ch but it can be done. You should have around 3/8" inch clearance to the cam pulley if all is well. I don't remember exactly but I cut about 1 inch or more off the hose.

Cheers,

Jim

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

Jim,

That big red one is it, its TONS of fun to get it on/off. While the engine was out I fitted it up and cut about 1" off the waterpump side. Yet when I installed the engine there really isn't much clearence. I am going to give it a shot with the current setup and if it looks like it is rubbing I will take it off and cut it down. Silly question, but can that hose be removed and installed again with the engine in the car? Seems like a total B*(CH to do with the engine in.

Cheers,

-Graham

hoses.jpgGraham,

I believe you are referring to the water pump inlet hose that comes from the radiator back into the water pump, the big red one in the photo, correct?

The clearance is close there but it should be more than 1/16 inch. The silicone hose needs to be shortened a little more from the water pump end to pull the bend away from the pulley. Twisting the hose a little may help also.

I've done a couple of those JAE silicone hoses and that one is a b--ch but it can be done. You should have around 3/8" inch clearance to the cam pulley if all is well. I don't remember exactly but I cut about 1 inch or more off the hose.

Cheers,

Jim

I replaced my hose with the metal bendable tubing that you can find at most performance shops. It is a lot easier to work with and shape. I've had it in for 2 years now with no probs.

11010R.jpg

Here's a link: http://go.mrgasket.com/ProductDetails.aspx...minselection=1#

Edited by Pete_Inno

Interesting...I may have to give that a try. Thanks Pete. ;)

-Graham

I replaced my hose with the metal bendable tubing that you can find at most performance shops. It is a lot easier to work with and shape. I've had it in for 2 years now with no probs.

11010R.jpg

Here's a link: http://go.mrgasket.com/ProductDetails.aspx...minselection=1#

Well I decided to bite the bullet and take the hose off and cut it down more and put it back on. Seeing as I had already spent the $60 to get the hose I wasn't really up for getting a flex pipe. Well the good news is the pipe is now on and there appears to be ample clearence. The band news is my hands are still throbing and bloody and putting that pipe on with the engine in was probably the worst thing I have every had to do on any car I have ever worked on (and I have done some pretty crazy things :whistle: ). During the installation process I figured out a new lotus position they should have listed in the manual...lay over the side of the car with your feet in the air and your head down in the engine bay and your hands jammed down between the firewall and engine. :wacko: It was a good time, took 2 1/2 hours to get that pipe on...and if it leaks or comes off... :rtfm:

-Graham

Well I decided to bite the bullet and take the hose off and cut it down more and put it back on. Seeing as I had already spent the $60 to get the hose I wasn't really up for getting a flex pipe. Well the good news is the pipe is now on and there appears to be ample clearence. The band news is my hands are still throbing and bloody and putting that pipe on with the engine in was probably the worst thing I have every had to do on any car I have ever worked on (and I have done some pretty crazy things :wacko: ). During the installation process I figured out a new lotus position they should have listed in the manual...lay over the side of the car with your feet in the air and your head down in the engine bay and your hands jammed down between the firewall and engine. :rtfm: It was a good time, took 2 1/2 hours to get that pipe on...and if it leaks or comes off... :whistle:

-Graham

Yeah, that's the same lotus position you need to replace the oil pump body gasket... Keep limbered up if you need to replace that gasket!!! I have scars! and an almost permanant impression of "chargecooler" on my chest/stomach!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Well I decided to bite the bullet and take the hose off and cut it down more and put it back on. Seeing as I had already spent the $60 to get the hose I wasn't really up for getting a flex pipe. Well the good news is the pipe is now on and there appears to be ample clearence. The band news is my hands are still throbing and bloody and putting that pipe on with the engine in was probably the worst thing I have every had to do on any car I have ever worked on (and I have done some pretty crazy things :D ). During the installation process I figured out a new lotus position they should have listed in the manual...lay over the side of the car with your feet in the air and your head down in the engine bay and your hands jammed down between the firewall and engine. :wacko: It was a good time, took 2 1/2 hours to get that pipe on...and if it leaks or comes off... :wub:

-Graham

Way to go Graham, we knew you could do it.... :whistle::rtfm:

1995 S4s