Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Possible headlight upgrade? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Possible headlight upgrade?

I was trawling to find upgraded bulbs for my bike, and came across these (I seem to remember my old 350 used hb3 bulbs, anybody tried them? (The poor lights were one of the reasons I traded it for a 400)

https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/9005HB3-LED-headlight-Bulb-4000-Lumen_p_113.html

Yes, you need to replace the projectors which are 3 inch mirror and 2.5 inch front lens which creates the long and thin poor light. I have replaced with a set of proper 2.5 inch projectors with bi xenon cut off's fit high beam and they are fantastic. The light pattern is wide and bright and has great cut off at the top when aligned. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi Darren,

Since a couple of weeks I own an Exige S and the headlight is shockingly poor indeed. I really thought something was wrong with the car. So I was looking for upgrades and noticed your older thread. I did not take the headlights out yet, so I struggle a little to fully understand what you did.

My main questions: 

Can this adapter ring be installed without cutting open the headlights?

Would this adapter ring also work with a HB3A LED light?

Cheers, Matthijs

Matthijs,

The problem I found with replacement of globe only (HID, better halogen or potentially LED bulb), is that the shape of the factory projector is narrow and hence you tend to get beams of seperate light with very little width of coverage regardless of the bulbs output strength

You do need to open the headlights in order to change the projectors. The adapter plate is used to allow the new 2" projector you source to connect to the current aiming and mounting components in the headlamp.

The opening of the headlamp is messy, but not difficult if you take your time and are careful. It does require softening the butyl sealant used to waterproof and attach the front perspex to the main headlamp. This is best done in a low temp oven for a short period of time. Use gloves to handle and methodically work around the joins with a small screwdriver to open and remove the softened glue. There is tutorials on this on the web for general headlamp opening. Naturally you need to clean and reseal this once completed with new butyl (which can be purchased from a hardware).

As for LED bulbs, you will need to consider the depth of the bulb from its mount ring as the rubber caps on the back of our headlamps (which keep the water out) are not very deep and hence could foul dependent on the length

I wish that Lotus has just designed the lamps with some proper projectors in the first place. Dont know were they got the once they used from, but they are pretty sub standard.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...