Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Separation - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Separation

Simon350S

I know this is a rather vague question, but in the opinion of those who have already done such a task, how easy/difficult is it to separate the Chassis and body??

I realise that there will be a few tasks that will be a certanty, brake/clutch pipes, steering, engine wiring harness, but appart from these, how much of an involved job is it?? :(

Your input is most appreciated. :)

p.s. Not sure if this is aimed at S or G cars yet, quite possibly a combination of the 2!! :)

Cheers Simon

Chunky Lover

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't tried it but I think it would be easier to land your Esprit on the moon! And no you can't use a hangar in the Nevada desert :-)

It's in the workshop manual. Here's the abbreviated version:

1. Disconnect battery, drain coolant and fuel

2. Disconnect pedal box and its earth strap.

3. Remove centre console and gear level grommet.

4. Remove seat belts from tunnel sides

5. In front luggage compartment, disconnect brake pipes from ABS and vacuum hose from brake servo.

6. Disconnect cluth pipe from master cylinder

7. Release steering column from rack/pinion shaft

8. Disconnect oil cooler hoses

9. Remove radiator duct stays. Disconnect pipes from radiator, heater and coolant recirculation valve.

10. Disconnect hoses from a/c compressor.

11. Disconnect earth braids from seats and fuel tanks.

12. Disconnect power steering hose.

13. Disconnect fuel cross over pipe, and feed/return from RH tank.

14. Disconnect parking brake cables.

15. Disconnect air intake trunking.

16. Disconnect engine harness, reverse light switch, coolant hoses, vacuum pipes and throttle cable.

17. Disconnect cable to starter solenoid and engine earth braid.

18. Remove silencer.

19. Feed all disconnected pipes through to the chassis.

20. Release twelve body to chassis fixings.

As regards mixing S and G cars, God help you. Even mixing different model variaties of either is bound to to leave you screaming!

Sorry for being so enthusiastic :-)

Neal

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Dave Rooms removed the body from one of his SE's

IIRC he did it in just one day......

Ok, it has sat that way ever since but that's another matter! :):(

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Dave Rooms romeoved the bosy from one of his SE's

IIRC he did it in just one day......

Ok, it has sat that way ever since but that's another matter! :):P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see I have done as much on my SE as you have done to improve your spelling!!!!! :(

Do not listen to any doom and gloom with regard to dropping the chassis, it is not that hard at all :(. The fish is correct I took the shell off in one day(on my own!!), and it should have taken alot less had I, 1, followed the manual, 2, not kept stopping to have a cigarette, and finally, had it mentioned in the book, or if anyone had told me about the four bolts on the pedal box which are a shit to get at and are the final body to chassis bolts :)

The only thing you do need assistance for is the lifting of the shell from the chassis itself, it is not as heavy as you would think but it is very awkward.

let me know if you need any more details. :P

What?!?! :)

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

Wayne I think your mind separated from reality many years ago due to all those funny little mushrooms you ate! :)

• Gold FFM

I might be on the same muchrooms that Wayne is on, but I'll ask it none the less! Would I be right in thinking that if you wanted to remove the petrol tanks, removing the body would give you great access to it?

It just *seems* a lot easier than removing the engine and gives great access to do other jobs on the car at the same time! Reconnecting all those pipes might be a bit of a bugger tho'!

Signature not working...

Cheers for that Dave.

If/when i get the car i'm planning on maybe driving it for a bit for the rest of the summer, even though its a bit of a shed to look at, and then mothballing it for the winter to do all of the works that i can afford! :)

My thoughts exactly Mysterae. Its all going to need alot of work so thought i'd take the body off and attend to all those tasks such as, engine maintenence/cleaning/painting, suspension checking/renewing/cleaning/painting, fuel tanks checking/replacing, clutch & brake hose check/replacement, chargecooler pump refurb/replacement, brakes check/refurb etc etc.......... :)

Then prep the underside of the body while its up in the air ready to take a fresh coat of paint, probably barbie pink just to keep you happy Mr Fish!!! get rid of that poncy ice blue! U liking?? :(

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

Hahahaha! Well it sounds more butch already! :(:) You will have Karl pestering you all the time tho!

What colour ARE you thimking of? :)

AAHHHHH! The big, whats the best colour question again!!!

Don't know yet. Think i'm going to have to attend a few meetings and get a feel for whats about and what i think looks best.

U'll then all get to see the car as it is now, :( and then hopefully see a massive difference when i've EVENTUALLY finished it in the summer of 200? (year unknown!)

I suppose all of this is a little presumptuous as i still don't have the car, just planning ahead! :)

Chunky Lover

Always good to plan ahead!

TBH A little fantasising is very helpful for the old motivation - Imagining how good it will feel to drive around in your lovely new car :) Trust me it's even better!

My two penneths worth for the respray - Decide whether you want to go for something utterly 'unspoiled' or Unique.

Your car will never win a concourse - anorak competition cos its a hybrid weirdy thing to start with...

IMHO That ACTUALLY means it frees you to do ANYTHING at all you like to it! My money says that means go unique and do something noone else has.

Not too sure how it would look on a G-Car but the MG Pearl Yellow (a bit like the Lambo Pearl) is a stunning colour. Would definitely look awesome on an S-Car... Not too sure about a G tho?

Might pull the body off mine in the future. Besides taking up alot of room, restoring the chassis to a like new state is an obbsesive task that costs loads of time/dosh. I would have to have the chassis re-galvanised as there is no real way of replicating the finish in paint. Have done a few Body offs, the bad thing is seeing them age again when you start driving the car :D

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Wasn't really thinking of a full chassis resoration, just thought it might be an idea to have a good look around, clean up, and that it would be easier to do some of the major works, engine clean up with the body off?

Also wouldn't want to have a nice new pink car with an ice blue underside!!! :D

Chunky Lover