Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Detached Tailgate Channel Drain - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Detached Tailgate Channel Drain

One of the hoses has detached itself from the adapter on the S4S.

There is a black sealent evident on the hose does anyone know the best seal to use to fix the adapter and pipe back together.

Thanks

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine was fixed once with that white self-amalgamating tape that plumbers use - seems to have done the trick.

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

One of the hoses has detached itself from the adapter on the S4S.

There is a black sealent evident on the hose does anyone know the best seal to use to fix the adapter and pipe back together.

Thanks

Since I got the Esprit it always had a damp/wet boot floor. I checked and replaced almost any seal/weatherstrip since then, but boot was still wet... :lol:

I then found out that the draining tubes were leaking, because the flexible pipes were rubbing against the round boot floor cut-outs for almost 20 years now, allowing water to ingress to the boot. I replaced them with ABS straight drain pipes - no more water in the boot...

Edited by jimmybondi

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

Cliff for a superb sealent/adhesive try and find sikaflex any good motor factors should have it or an equivelent its superb stuff. If not usually some on ebay.

Used to hold the wing onto my 300zx with a couple of screws!!!

Cliff for a superb sealent/adhesive try and find sikaflex any good motor factors should have it or an equivelent its superb stuff. If not usually some on ebay.

Before you start spending lots of $$$ - I don't think this drain tube needs to withstand a lot of drag... :lol::lol:

Ciao,

JB

Its not big money and if you want to stick and seal something i would use it over most products.

I have just used it to fit the SJ secondary door seals and it worked a treat :lol:

Also if you seal it properly after use it will last for ages in the shed for the next thing you want to stick or seal.

Very nice find.

Thanks Mat.

Ciao,

JB

Hi Glyn,

which kind of Sikaflex do you use?

Freek

Esprit Freak

Thanks for all the advice chaps , very useful.

I checked the parts list last night and right at the back there is a section showing the correct sealants etc. page 80.05a

The one Lotus recommends is SIKAFLEX 221 (BLACK) - part no A089B6174V. Had look on e bay about

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

not sure off the top of my head. I have a feeling its 221

My local motor factors generally only has one type, in fact the last couple of times he hasn't had any only alternatives which have been just as good to be honest, but they are a great little shop and know their stuff so I trust their judgement.

If you have a shop like that pop in and ask them if they have heard of sikaflex and if they have any or an alternative.

Sorry cant be more specific.

Edited by Splashout

Many thanks Sikaflex info, didn't think about looking in the parts manual. The reason i asked is that I have a small leakage and ordered new parts.

Freek

Many thanks Sikaflex info, didn't think about looking in the parts manual. The reason i asked is that I have a small leakage and ordered new parts.

Freek

Esprit Freak

Freek

Freek

Don't smoke too much of that stuff - otherwise you will see everythin double... :coffee:

Don't smoke too much of that stuff - otherwise you will see everythin double... :cheers:

:D:)

Ciao,

JB

Update

Took off the adapter yesterday , decided to replace it and reseal.

Does anyone know how to remove the exsisting black sealent (sikaflex) with out damaging the paint work ?

Thanks

Cliff

Update

I spoke to the supplier of the drain adapter and they recommended the trusty ' finger nail ' :respect:

As it will not harm the paint work I rubbed on white spirt which seemed to soften the seal a small amount allowing my trusty figernail to work its magic. After multiple applications the offending seal gradually came off with no damage to the surrounding paint... Result.

Next job to fix the new adapter which is supplied oversized on the lip so I have cut this down to match the other drain.

Cliff