Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Convoy leaving Leven Lotus to 70th Anniversary at Lotus Hethel - UK - LEGS (Lotus Enthusiast Group Scotland) - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Convoy leaving Leven Lotus to 70th Anniversary at Lotus Hethel

I have just spoken to Ian Parkin and the plan would be to meet at Leven Lotus showroom from 8:00am for departure at 8:30am sharp Friday 28th September. The journey on a Friday will probably take  between 7 ½  - 8 ½  hours, possibly a little longer because it is a Friday. 

If you haven't already got a ticket for this event either from the lotus70.com website or from Ian there is no point in travelling in the convoy as the event is sold out.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Brian

what are you guestimated times?...and what route are you taking.....?

Im thinking I'll meet you when you turn off the motorway/A1m

cheers

Gareth

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Gareth,

I won't be travelling in the convoy as I will be in the Newark area on Friday morning. I am dropping my wife off at her Mother's in Aslockton and will leave from there.

I have suggested the route A68, A697, A1 to Newark then the A17 to Norfolk ETA 5:00 - 5:30pm. I travel this route often to the Newark area and usually allow 3 ½ - 4 hours to Scotch Corner, 2 - 2 ½ hours to Newark and would allow 2 to 2 ½  hours to Norfolk. It is a Friday and the traffic can be quite heavy so the timings could be longer.

So if no hold ups 7 ½ hours but could be a lot longer if the roads are busy.

There is a Shell fuel station and a Restaurant/Farmshop just off the  roundabout where the A1 joins the A17 and could be a meeting point and there is lots of parking. I do't think the convoy will be there before 2:00pm.  I plan to be there for that time and will contact Ian Parkin to check on the whereabouts of the convoy and there ETA at A1/A17 junction.

Hope this gives you a reasonable idea of timings.

Bran

Brian

That's cool.....I was planning on coming through there but at about noon......I spent 4.5 years travelling this route every week so I know it quite well too......hoping to get to Dunston about 3ish.....to miss all the traffic......

I'll see how things go.....

Cheers

Gareth 

The plan is to meet at the dealership (Leven Lotus Edinburgh, Bankhead Drive, Edinburgh, EH11 4DJ) around 8.00am, setting off at 8.30am. The first stop will be at Scotch Corner Services, we should arrive around 11.30am, this will give people the opportunity to stretch legs/get food or coffee and also let any stragglers catch up. We will set off at 12.00pm and carry on down to East Kirkby to the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre (Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre, East Kirkby, Spilsby, Lincs, PE23 4DE) They have a Lancaster Bomber that will be taxing that day, I've called ahead and been informed that weather permitting we will have some picture opportunities with the cars and the Lancaster Bomber. They have a museum which is £8.50 entry if anyone is interested in having a look around. From this point we aren't too far from Norfolk so i'd expect folk to start branching off and heading to overnight accommodation, alternatively we can find somewhere to get some pictures of the cars if anyone knows any good spots around that area.

Everyone is welcome, the more the merrier! Lets get as many Lotus cars from north of the border and north England to head down the road together! What a sight that will be and what a cracking way to start the weekend celebrations!

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

@Ian Parkin In true RAF fashion, when you arrive at the aviation heritage site can you enter in 'missing man' formation please, as a mark of respect for yours truly who would have dearly loved to have been with you but will most likely instead be 'lost in action' somewhere between the Channel Tunnel and the M25/M11 intersection. 

On 21/09/2018 at 17:08, theelanman said:

Brian

That's cool.....I was planning on coming through there but at about noon......I spent 4.5 years travelling this route every week so I know it quite well too......hoping to get to Dunston about 3ish.....to miss all the traffic......

I'll see how things go.....

Cheers

Gareth 

What time were you planning to be passing the A1/A17 Junction? If between 12:30 and 1:00pm I could meet up with you there. I am staying overnight Thursday near Durham and driving to Aslockton (20mins down the A46 from Newark) to drop my wife off at her mum's. I expect to be in Aslockton by midday, quick turnaround and could be back up to A1/A17 junction about 12:30, all traffic permitting of course.

Brian

that sounds about right......12:30 ish........at Newark....

my number

I keep you posted if you wish

cheers

Gareth

Gareth 12:30 sounds good. 

My number 07774705342   

If I’m held up I will let you know  

Brian

Ian,  I had thought of coming through to Leven for the start but wary of M8 from Glasgow in the morning. So I will drive down M74 to Penrith then A66 to Scotch Corner. I will plan to be there by 11.30, for the noon roll out.

Cheers,  Scott