Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Removing / Repairing S4 Speedo - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Removing / Repairing S4 Speedo

Speedo died yesterday. No dilemmas there - it's inevitable.

Anyway, took the binnacle off - easy. Released all the wiring and rear bracket - easy.

But I'm buggered if I can get the speedo out - seems to be welded in there.

Are there any tricks to make this easier...

Self Served :)

Required brute force over a 45 minute period. The rubber sleeve at the back of the speedo was binding on the unit itself and because of limited access, made things very, very difficult.

Anyway speedo is buggered (probably a magnet issue). Lubed up the rubber sleeve, plonked in the new digital VDO Speedo, wired up and reprogrammed to 4000 pulses per KM. Took for a test run and works just like a bought one.

Only thing now is I have an S4 with only 1 km on the clock.

FYI: Original speedo lasted 50009 miles before chucking the wobbly.

speedocrop.jpg

Edited by s4simon

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Simon.

With our max speed limit of 110kph I think a scale that only goes to 180kph or so could be appropriate. It's a small enough dial to start with and would be so much easier to read on our roads, with their ludicrous 40/50/60/70/80/100/110 limits. Though no bragging rights with a car that only does 180kph....

Tie that faux c/f is actually a transfer. The base object is painted black, put in a bath and the transfer applied. Once dried a clear coat is applied that can be flat, gloss or anything between.

They can do some amazing stuff and it comes in many patterns and other looks besides c/f. I've even seen timber alloy wheels with the stuff!

DanR

Bought it on Ebay for Au$80 a couple of years back and was just waiting for the original to fail before replacing. I believe they cost a fair bit from the shops. From memory they have the specs and all their part numbers on the VDO website.

The back lighting is currently white so I'll have to change that next time around.

Very easy to install as I used the wires (pwr/gnd) set out for the boost gauge which is not present on the S4 and grabbed the speed wire from the binnacle ECU connector. Took less than 30 seconds to calibrate.

And as DanR said, the CF material is a hard coating. easily scratched or chipped.

Simon I was looking at these recently with Geoff here and it is possible to change the bezel to match the others. The technician had made a tool from a screwdriver that enabled him to gently pick and roll the crimped edge back.

DanR

Just have to check the diameter size. That's the only dilemma with the gauges. I'll confirm later.

I downloaded the complete install manual for the VDO Speedo (only 4 pages) but it's very comprehensive. You would also need to confirm the calibration requirement for MPH as mine was 4000 pulses / km.

If the speedo was'nt jamed in like it was then I'd say the whole job could be done in just over an hour.

Back again.

The S4 Esprit uses an 80mm VDO Speedo (different to the Sport 300 which uses a 100mm VDO speedo).

VDO still make an 80mm and a 100mm. VDO Linky HERE. These are 'Global Spec' Speedo's

Now the one on Ebay is a 3 3/8" dial which equates to an 85mm hole which is a 'USA spec' for some reason. VDO Linky HERE

So in short - no, it won't fit without a bit of chiselling. :)

Edited by s4simon

Hi Simon,

Your input is greatly appreciated. I am going to look into this and see how complicated this process will be for me. If it gets too complicated for my experience then I may just go ahead and have the current one refurbished...you help is appreciated!!

Jason

Took the old speedo apart today and have posted a few pics for reference.

speedopryingcap.jpg

Pry off the front metal cap ring - carefully. :)

speedoopened.jpg

Voila !

speedo2screws.jpg

Unscrew the two brass screws to get access to the inards :)

speedoproblembit.jpg

Inards split in two. :P

speedosinglebit.jpg

Arrow showing the culprit. Spindle had come away from the rotating magnet - looks to be crimped on (or press fit most probably) as no adhesive is present. Once the spindle is back in position, speedo works like new again. Now just a matter of cleaning everything and putting back together. B)

I need to forward mine on !

Good guide, look into that sometime - my speedo was changed after 18,000 miles so it reads well under - i'd like to make it read right !

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Well done Simon, I know the guys here who have had trouble like yours have been able to get them fixed easily and locally too which is a bonus.

Cool to know what they look like inside. Like disconecting a bomb perhaps....tick tick tick >>> Caboooooommm hehe!!!

350.gifNo.23

Connector in the binnacle from the ECM - Pin 14. Orange and brown wire.

Which goes to pin 8 of the digital speedo.

• 2 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Hey guys,

My speedo always 'bounced' around the actual speed - maybe +5mph/-5mph...

Now - it rapidly bounces all over - right to one end of the dial to the over - even sitting at a dead stop it will read different numbers (not changing but like 30mph). It also makes a noise - like a fan blade hitting something.

Is this the same symptom as you have seend when your speedo fails?

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

Lou,

I had the same symptoms as you have with the speedo (1990 Turbo SE, mechanically driven speedo) and when it was repaired it turned out that the magnet became loose.

Freek

Esprit Freak

Yes above problem is the loose magnet syndrome. Simple to fix as described in the previous page. The last photo shows the problem piece. Once the speedo is apart the fix only takes a couple of minutes. Hardest part was removing the speedo to begin with. The retaining ring on the speedo just takes patience to remove.

There is a very easy way to remove the speedo. Using a small screwdriver (mini or jewelers) use it between the speedo case and pry the rubber ring to lift it up a bit. Take a small cocktail straw and dip the end into liquid soap or dish detergent and hold your finger over the top end of the straw while the tip in in the soap. place the straw tip between speedo case and the rubber ring and release the soap. Place in 3 spots around the ring then give the speedo case a 1/4 to 1/2 turn to spread the soap and then pull it out. Some people use spray lube with a straw but soap is easier to clean up. Wipe or rinse off the soap before reassembly.

• Gold FFM

Well - tackling mine today -

Can someone tell me if this is the issue?

It looks like the magnet has worked it way up the spindle - seen back the large gap between the end of the spindle and flush with the edge of the magnet.

So i guess that would cause the magnet to make contact with the outer ring the drives the speedo needle?

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....