Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
ride height - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

ride height

• Gold FFM

got my new GAZ adjustables installed....

Anyone have experience with ride height? currently I'm set at 5.5" from top of the rim to the bottom of the wheel well lip...

some pics:

pretty kit

GAZ.jpg

the old springs were bowed....

2010-09-17%2013.38.35.jpg

front in

2010-09-17%2016.18.41.jpg

rear in

2010-09-17%2019.41.42.jpg

Edited by Quikr

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I did mine I went with the service manual setup, 170mm from the ground to the cross-member under the car. This equated to 650mm from the ground to the highest point on the wheel arch at the front, and 700mm at the rear. Your arches maybe different to mine, but the ground clearance would be the same.

Edited by stevem

Too many Toys are never enough !

Hi Lou

Its the 170mm that it very important, not how the body sits on the chassis, it has to many variables.

The 170mm should be measured from each side under the front x-member. and again 170mm from the underside of the rear lower link brackets on the chassis. a flat level floor will be quite important.

The best way i found was to run the car around getting the suspension to settle , then measure the heights, and adjust accordingly. then run the car again to resettle the settings and recheck.

You may need to do this a couple of time as all four do interact with each other giving false readings. particularly the front because of the anti roll bar.

I also noticed adjustable shockers on your photos, suggest you set to softest setting for height adjustment to minimise influence. One word of caution here when runing the car on soft it handles like a cady !!!! :bounce:

when set if the ride height is different to how the car was set before you will need to reset the tracking aswell.

If you have dificulties this may be a good time to get the whole of the geometry reset, It makes a big diference when set right, and if not checked regular could be significantly out.

The esprit can be a fussy car but when set up correctly .... WOW... what a machine.

Have fun and let me know how you get on

Dave

Edited by CHANGES

If you find you are making "significant" adjustment then it is important to check wheel weights, ie how much of the car's overall weight is distributed to each corner, each axle should be even on a road car but what the ideal distribution is between front and rear I don't know for an Esprit, but is probably model specific.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• Gold FFM

great info - thank you!.

I ordered from GAZ directly -

GAZ Gold Professional Adjustable Coil-overs

- GG8-2146 (front)

- GG8-2154 (rear)

- 9" x 275lbs x 2.25" (front)

- 9" x 375lbs x 2.25" (rear)

May be a little high on the rear spring rate but trying to hold up under the APR wing.

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

Lou,

I found it necessary to raise the left rear spring by 3mm to account for the US cars lean due to enging slant and driver on same side, though I did use the origindl springs.

That did even the handling as well.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Hi Lou, that data is almost exactly the same as I chose, my car is very low, the shocks are coil overs bit not sure if they are professional type.

Ride is hard, but it corners like its on rails.

Ride height, i would need to check the value but the fronts from a level view - the top of wheel is in line with the wing, the rear is about 2 fingers, I could measure the gaps if anyone was interested.

I would be interested to see some side views of your car to see how they compare.

Dave