Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My Interior Project - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

My Interior Project

i have found a seller of carbon fiber roll on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARBON-FIBRE-3K-TWIL...26616QQihZ013QQ

i can use it for the sills and a few other things, however i will need resin, then i would have to bake it etc. is this a good price on it or should i just get an adhesive carbon and wrap it over aluminium sills?

advice please

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to bake it....

Poly resin will set pretty much anywhere and epoxy should set in a room with the heating on high

Bought about 20 metres of the stuff myself a couple of months back, 10metres of which are a carbon kevlar mix....

Take a look at this site, its pretty usefull with plently of info to digest....

DIY Carbon

Simon

Chunky Lover

right test fitted the steering wheel today, result, same momo pattern as the original, but the fixing botls hex sockets are worn so they need replacing.

now i have to get the wood sections done so off it comes again!!!

DSCN5056.jpg

Looking good Simon, I'm anxious to see the finished product with some nice exotic wood!(can I say that on here?he he)

Pedals coming soon too??? Zonda style?

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

• 4 weeks later...

right yesterday was productive, i have managed to remove the left hand sill carpet in one piece and i have made a cardboard template of this ready to test fit( when it stops raininng) and i can adjust then transfer to aluminium formers, this will alow me to lay carbon between then, clamp together and allow to bake in the nice hot conservatory. i am taking pics, and i will post them up as soon as the formers are made, i will be showing the full sequence and explaining everything on this, i may even make a few of them if theres interest.

luckily my old engineering boss is helping me make the formers and double checking my measurements as i go.

Mate, looking good, but please don't knock yourself up again. Take it easy.

TK

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

todays update:

i spent this morning at my old engineering works, i had templated the sill area to within a quater inch overhang on the top door edges where the seal clips on over the edges.

i transferred this to aluminium 1.6mm sheet and then marked the first bend section which is against the door edge/seal edge. This edge is not as you would think 90degrees but is actually under abut 75-80 degrees for the fold, this also needed to be massaged back with a hammer edge to get it flush for the seal to clip over it also.

the aluminium has a few marks on it but nothing that cant be finished out with some sandpaper and a good polish up.

the large radius curve was done in sections, moving the sheet about 10 mm every time a bend was done achived the bend that you see, there are sme fold lines visable but als after a good sand back and finish you will not see any of these.

this sill section can after finishing be used as a former for carbon fibre sills for the s3, so after removing the carpet and ashtry, undoing the seatbelt fixing point, you just slot the belt point back through the slot that will be there and re-fix, then fix the sill in place the other side will ahve the cut section for the handbrake to slot through.

as for fixing im going to use a bonded velcro on the rear so that it can be removed should it need to be.

pictures of the sill in place and out of car as follows.

DSCN5330.jpg

DSCN5333.jpg

DSCN5336.jpg

DSCN5337.jpg

Edited by bigsi

VERY NICE!!! i like!

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.