Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Is This Red Hose Syndrome? - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Is This Red Hose Syndrome?

I've just replaced the clutch on my S1, thanks for all the advice on the forum (it did turn out to be the spigott bearing), but now I have a new problem.

I have to press the clutch pedal right to the floor to engage 1st, 2nd and reverse, usually along with playing tunes on my gearbox.

Is this due to the red hose having stretched and perhaps the PO adjusting the clutch to compensate resulting in the spigott bearing going?

If I am right I've seen the guide on LEW on replacing the red hose, but how much different is it for a G car as the guide is based on a Stevens?

Ta

Mark

Look what Q's brought us. Isn't it nice!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If its the same ends as an S3 then I can get one made up with a choice of ends, plated or stainless..... same as the one used on BigSi's car....

Also available with a clear or coloured sleeve over the stainless hose section to keep it sparkly clean, its available in red if you want to keep that original look..... Thats what I'm doing anyways...

Simon

replacing red hose bit of a nightmare why not replace clutch slave cyl seals first and see if it makes any difference cheaper by far and a dam sight quicker good luck

I disagree there, if you can get the car in the air enough for you to get under it, its real easy......

Shouldnt take more than 1 hour max...... and thats bled...!!!!

Simon

Chunky Lover

Red hose is more a change occuring on hot days or when the engine bay is hot.

Tell me about it Mat - I had 4 hours of it last Friday as Kimbers and I hooned inched our way round the M25 and down the M4 ;)

Normally only manifests itself when trying to engage 1st (or reverse). Short term workaround is to go back to neutral, select 2nd, and then go back to 1st. Works 9 out of 10 times for me anyway.

Mark --

I would think that if you have red hose syndrome now, you had it before the clutch change. I agree with those who said check the clutch adjustment and bleeding first.

FWIW, my red S1 still has the red hose, I've driven it on plenty of days well over 30C degrees outside and have yet to experience the syndrome.

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE